vr6storm

quick-guide to storms

That would be me who linked you.. glad to see you signed up mate.. :)

I'm a bit more of an 'old hand' on here than on Vortex ;)

There IS a big chance though that dealers were selling Storm badges for non-storm cars. I know for a fact that some of them did do this (my Campaign used to have Storm badges on it :mad: )
The badges have always been very hard to find, even in '95. Tho I did see a white rado happily displaying a storm badge. Does anybody know of a firm who re-create them? Or of a register of genuine storms? (going by engine/chassis no)

http://www.trimsport.co.uk might be able to make one if sent a badge to copy from, but the most they can make is 500, so there would little incentive in it for them.

Don't think a register exists because there is nothing unique in the chassis number to denote the car is a storm....AFAIK?

I went to look at a mystic blue storm a few months back, the bloke was asking £6700 for it with air con that didn't work a paint job that looked like a 5 year old had a crack at it and 130k miles. I loved the colour and the black interior, but there was so many faults with it and the dealer was piping on about it being a storm, there was no decent service history to it, nothing.

In the end i bought an Ice grey violet corrado with grey leather for £5000 with full service history and 80k on the clock.

I can understand why people go for storms but i can also understand dealers taking customers to the cleaners with em too. Some of these storms are not worth it, and to say they keep their value more is correct but didnt you shell out more money for it in the first place?

Keeping any corrado on the road after 10 years compared to other motorcars is history itself.

Isn't the storm an extra insurance group too? now how does that work, its expensive enough running one let alone paying more insurance.

It sounds as though you got a much better deal in the end, it's all too easy to let the heart rule the head! Some dimwit will end up paying over the odds for that storm and then end up paying more to get it how it should be. Only if you can pick one up for normal VR money will you be onto a winner. Yes storm is group 19 insurance for some reason, but my renewal has just come through at £322 fully comp, guess I could be lucky there but it's a small price I'm prepared to pay.

http://www.trimsport.co.uk might be able to make one if sent a badge to copy from, but the most they can make is 500, so there would little incentive in it for them.

Don't think a register exists because there is nothing unique in the chassis number to denote the car is a storm....AFAIK?

Cheers mate, regarding the one im looking at I just called VWs notional phone jobbie. They confirmed it was genuine and with it beeing blue I can check the paint code.

Ive spoken to demon VW about the badge thing, guess they wil be along to the dub festival-can anybody confirm this?

That would be me who linked you.. glad to see you signed up mate.. :)

I'm a bit more of an 'old hand' on here than on Vortex ;)

Ah, that's right, and I'm bloody glad you did tell me about this place. It's good to know there is a Corrado forum that is based in UK and that people in the UK are just as mad about the Corrado as I am. Good feeling, thanks for introducing me to this place.

Will definitely be sticking around, if not for fun then for the countless problems I am sure to encounter over the happy years to come, hehehe. :p :roll: :)

There's more than that.... I've got a contact at the DVLA through a work colleague. I got said colleague to ask how many Storms were still registered in the UK and he came back with 23....but I think he confused my request with Scirocco Storms. I'll try again and see what he says, watch this space.

There's more than that.... I've got a contact at the DVLA through a work colleague. I got said colleague to ask how many Storms were still registered in the UK and he came back with 23....but I think he confused my request with Scirocco Storms. I'll try again and see what he says, watch this space.

thing tho kev..........as its not listed in the logbook as being a Storm ..........there is no way (unless he knows the Storms chassis numbers) that he can find out

It's a pointless search/exercise at the end of the day Kev, ....

As Rodders says, the DVLA has no way of knowing as there was no separate identification of the Corrado Storm, so the word Storm is not on their database wrt the Corrado. Chassis numbers are scattered and follow no pattern you could programme in.

If it was done on colours/interiors, only the Mystic Blue would be accurate.

If VAG were to be approached, they only know the original number. Their car history logs depend on the cars being serviced at the dealerships. 10 years on and how may Storms get serviced at the dealers these days. I'd guess at most 40% as their present owners won't cos they aren't the sort that do use dealers as it's toooooo costly. I for instance stopped the dealer servicing after 5 years. So VAG have no way of knowing whats left and whats trashed.

Then there are the exported Storms. I know of at least two which are now abroad. One in Eire and the other is in New Zealand. Small number but again that could be say 4 to 5 overall on a statistical basis.

The only way to hazard a guess is to ask the DVLA how many VR6 Corrados were registered in Sept'04 to P reg (whatever that is) [ie. the last years production sold over 2.5 years, about 1300 to 1500 cars including the Storms] and then how many of those are left on the road today. (No use using all Corrados figure in the UK as that warps the factoring cos it takes into account aged cars]

Apply that factor to the 500 Storms and thet will give you rough order of magnitude. My Guess would come out at about 350 to 400. The car is not uncommon by the secondhand sales and they're not the same cars each time so the above figure 350 to 400 wouldn't surprise me. Maybe even as high as 425.

Chris

so the above figure 350 to 400 wouldn't surprise me. Maybe even as high as 425.

Yeah, I reckon most of them are still on the road, I only know of 3 or 4 that have been written off.... It would be interesting to know!

If the dealers fitted the storm badges, then could the badges have been arranged differently by different dealers. I've seen storms with the following

Corrado

Storm VR6

and others with

Corrado

VR6 Storm

Which is correct ?

Corrado

Storm VR6

is the way its shown on the fitting instructions

so unless the original fitter was thick..........its been re-painted or removed replaced

Corrado

Storm VR6

so unless the original fitter was thick..........its been re-painted or removed replaced

Thanks for the info.

i know of a storm that been written off..which im

having the engine out of next week hopefully

Grab the Badge too if its available..........

i know of a storm that been written off..which im

having the engine out of next week hopefully

Grab the Badge too if its available..........

first thing i looked for this morning..and its gone :(

Corrado

Storm VR6

And here's the said fitting instructions ;-)

Interestingly the Badges were made inTurkey by 3M - and were ordered by the dealers when they ordered or were allocated with a Storm by Milton Keynes.

I have pictures of the Storms lined up at the docs in Grimsby without any badges - just Solitutdes ;-) It seems that some of the sales staff couldn't get to grip of the location of the bage - or as you say it's been repainted and replaced in the wrong position.

Would love to see that pic of em all lined up like little soldiers.

Had a quick butchers at your digitechnik site. Sweet C fella.

Mine came from Scotts of sloane square too - but is now taking it easy in the countryside.

Would love to see that pic of em all lined up like little soldiers.

Had a quick butchers at your digitechnik site. Sweet C fella.

Mine came from Scotts of sloane square too - but is now taking it easy in the countryside.

Thanks ;-) - The pictures are from a magazine - something like VW Motoring from 1994 - I'm going to be selling all my Corrado magazines off soon so I'll be sure to scan and post it before I do.