Sign in to follow this  
G60 Bob

Clutch shuddering after replacement - why?

Just got my G60 back after having a new clutch fitted and it shudders and vibrates through the pedal when trying to move carefully i.e. entering a narrow driveway or performing a 3 point turn in a tight space etc. It is fine when moving away normally with a few revs dialled in.

What could be the cause of this; will it go away as it beds in? My mechanic has suggested a warped flywheel but as it didnt happen before it was replaced i am looking for alternative suggestions. Any ideas guys?

Has the clutch been mis-aligned ? I would think this is the problem - Have you checked the gearbox mount is tight also ?

Could be an oil leak, especially if the oil seal was changed... Either that or inferior quality clutch maybe.

Even a crappy clutch shouldn't judder right away, more likely to have contamination on the friction surfaces like oily finger prints would in some cases make this happen, some areas of engine work need to be treat like an operating theater.

Chris

G60 Bob, A friend of mine had a problem with his clutch after replacing it his self. He needed a new clutch after 6months. Took it to a garage as he couldn't be bothered to do it, and the mechanic checked everything. It turned out it was the flywheel, and was told everytime a clutch is replaced the flywheel should be checked to see how true it is.

As Darren said tho'.. do the easy things first, check the mounts.

I personally get a little shudder, but I have put it down to my front mount in need of a replacement.

It was a Sachs clutch which i think is pretty good quality? The gearbox mount was also replaced with a mk2 sold rubber item at the same time.

If it was contamination by oil etc would this get better with wear - maybe i should give it a little work to do in order to burn it off?

When i let the clutch out gradually and apply no throttle it makes a progresively more violent shudder the further the clutch is released. Seems to be more violent / evident in reverse compared to first gear. Would this make it more likely to be a particular one of the possiblities mentioned?

G60 Bob, The oil I guess would burn with time, but could cause damage. Question i think is do you have a leak tho..

If it wasn't doing it before the clutch was changed.. then its something the garage has done or maybe not done being the problem.

Its quiet easy tho to misalign a clutch as darren said.

I'd start by explaining what is happing to the garage that carried out the work.

good luck

Thanks for the help so far - looks like it could be a number of things.

It was fitted by a mate (experienced Volvo mechanic) so i need to narrow it down as much as possible with help from the forum members :wink: before we start ripping it all out again cause the money has dried up and i need my car back on the road ASAP.

I hope my more detailed description of the problem has shed some more light on the possible cause, any further suggestions of what to try first would be really appreciated .........

Surely misalligning a clutch is only an issue when you are trying to put it back together, it won't go back together if its misalligned.

It may just be the sachs clutch to be honest, Stealth had no end of problems with them and some people had 2 or 3 new ones under warranty, they now only use the genuine clutch which is a mix of Sachs and LuK parts which are alot better than the bits that come in the pattern kits...

OK just to confirm a few things before we have a look at it tonight:-

- clutch has done less than 50 miles (none of them hard) so even if it is of

crap quality that shouldnt be the problem (if it was fitted correctly)

- the clutch wouldnt have went back together if it was misaligned (is that correct Darren?)

- could be oil contamination on the contact sufaces or possible leak

- could be gearbox mount incorrectly tightened / fitted

- could be a warped flywheel

:cry: (keeps fingers crossed its the mount cause im skint!)