Sign in to follow this  
Lanceevox

Head Unit (cd deck) Installation

How do you install a headunit? Do I have to take apart the entire dash? Should I just take it to a professional shop and have them install it? I need instructions..

If you still have the factory head unit, then the VW wiring should terminate in ISO connectors - it's simply a case of sliding the old head unit out of the dash by using the correct removal keys, then removing the head unit cage (you'll need a small flat-blade screwdriver to bend back the locating tabs). Then fit the new cage, connect the wiring of the new head unit to the factory wiring and slot it in.

If the wiring's been chopped, it's best to have it returned to ISO connectors - you probably have a buddy who can do this for you (most people do!).

If you've got the tools to get the factory head unit out (if not, they're dirt cheap from any car audio place), then the change over will take you less than 5 mins.

The cage gradeAfailure is talking about is just a metal rectangle that you put into the hole in the dash. This has some clips in it that hold your new head unit in place to stop it sliding out onto your lap, but is dead easy to fit.

If you click on the link below it will take you to a site where the sell the removal tool for MOST panasonic units (UK site) you have to slide one down either side of the unit to release it from its cage then just pull out.

If you have something similar looking (gotta be fairly long, narrow and flat) that might work just as well!

Hope this helps

Panaconic are a bitch to fit..... good luck trying to get the speakers working,,, had to take mine to a "proper" audio shop at the end to get mine fitted as their HU wiring is a mess in all honestly,, now have alpine and took me 20mins to fit.

no matter how good you are at fitting head units, you'll find out how many swear words you know when installing one to the vw corrado. The back support blocks off all space for wiring, so you can't really get it to sit flush w/o taking out the glove compartment, which gives you better access.

But for heaven's sake, get a couple of removal tools from your local store if they weren't supplied with your new player. If you can easily connect your new contacts to the old ones (there should be two big black connectors, called ISO-connectors), then do so, if not, get someone to do it for you (if you can't solder your own contacts, that is).

I think I am going to have Best Buy install the headunit for me because they offer free installation besides extra wire/plugs. However I have another question I recently replaced the door speakers with higher watt speakers and now my system distorts at higher volumes. Is this just because I have a older headunit that won't support the speakers wattage? If I buy a new $300 headunit will it cure the problem or should I have them install an amp when I get the headunit installed just to be safe. I am also replacing the rear speakers in my corrado.

get an amp if you want to run a sub in the future if you only wanna run 4spkrs dont get one as the head unit will give you 4x52 amp inside it so the spkrs would prob be getting 30 odd watts to them which will run them fine