Sign in to follow this  
STORM 2

which interface should I go for?

I think that's all you need - the late VRs just need that connector, some of the earlier ones have the 2x2 connector, so you'd need the adapter for that.

If you want to use it on new VAG cars, then you need the +CAN version that supports the higher data rates on the new cars.

The USB or COM thing just depends on what ports you have available on your laptop.

Edit: and er moving to engine bay :)

As Dinkus says, don't go for today. If you are planning to stay with VDUBS then future proof yourself to new cars this year. At least you will get some value out of the interface over the next few years.

Next year is another year and the diagnostics is always on the move. Ross-Tech since 2000 have had to revise the interfacing 3 times to cope with the moving situation.

The basic one $220/$249 will cover the Corrado and let you get into most VAG upto 2000. And a lot of the modules but not all on post 2000 to 2004 VAG cars.

There's also a software break at v409.1 which is the most advance supported for basic interfaces. Beyond this, the interface & the software changes to the +CAN interface type only and this is what Uwe is still developing to keep up with VAG.

Yes and no.

It's cheaper becuase it uses the free version of the software will only let you read fault codes.

The paid-for version also lets you clear the fault codes and do more advanced things. I'm sure the Ross Tech site will say what you can and can't do with the software tho.