Sign in to follow this  
swfblade

Dodgy power steering

Just recently my power steering seems to "turn off" (for want of a better word) and then back on quite randomly. This is very disconcerting as your going round a bend, as you'll turn the usual required amount, but suddenly find that the amount of force you've put on, isnt anywhere near enuf, and nearly go straight on!!

Any ideas as to what the problem could be? Ive already tried topping up the fluid, thats fine.

Right handers? In the wet?

If so, it's a badly fitting (or missing) splash guard letting water get onto the belt & it slips for a second or two.

I think it happens with both left/right and it happens in wet or dry. theres never been a splash guard there since i've had the car, and this has only started recently.

Is there a possibility the PS belt needs tightning by adjusting the location of the pump? im sure i read that somewhere....

Just out of interest, nine times out of ten on start up my valver has no right power assistance, but left is always ok. After applying left/right pressure a few times before moving off the right side then 'frees up' and works normally. Been doing this for so long I'm kind of used to it but wondered if anyone else experiences this anomaly?

As you say Steve, it's really weird. As you would imagine there is real resistance to wheel movement initially but after a couple of times 'leaning' left the resistance suddenly releases and everything is fine.

And can't see how it could be a fluid blockage as left is always ok. Just another quirk of the C that makes her so lovable :)

I had this exact problem with my last raddo (( g60 )) , I changed the fluid and belt and it didn't happen again to my knowledge, however the steering was very noisey so i'd got hold of a pump that I gave to the guy that bought it from me to fit. Not sure if he got it sorted though.

Yeah mine's started doing that too.....feels grindey on the steering wheel, almost as if there's no assistance initially but then rights itself.... pretty sure it's pump related (mines always been whiney on startup compared to other VRs), got a new one to go on which is s/hand, no idea if it's any good or not tho.

no idea if it's any good or not tho.

Thats the problem with 2nd hand parts, especially pumps 'n' things, I had already tried one 2nd hand pump that was worse than the original.

I wouldn't normaly consider using a 2nd hand part but I think new they are around £300 for a g60...so 2nd hand became apealing. I think you can get re-con pumps for about £150 + exchange though.

Yeah I didn't want to know how much VW wanted for a new VR pump, but the one I got from a scrappy was off a low mileage highline and I even stripped it down to check it, LOL! It was mint inside.....so gotta be worth a shot :-)

My power steering pump has been tired since I've owned the car. It's pretty noisy now and has always struggled to supply any 'assistance' for the first few minutes of a journey when cold.

* EDIT *

In a spur-of-the-moment decision I've just won a brand spanky new PAS pump on eBay for £42 delivered. I'm pretty pleased considering that's how much my local VW breakers want for a second hand pump.

Now I just have to hope it *IS* for a 1.8 16v Corrado as listed.

Yeah mine's started doing that too.....feels grindey on the steering wheel, almost as if there's no assistance initially but then rights itself.... pretty sure it's pump related (mines always been whiney on startup compared to other VRs), got a new one to go on which is s/hand, no idea if it's any good or not tho.

LOL - Kev the car hypochondriac...

If your PS is not working all the time its probably the belt tension. there are 3 bolts on a g60 that you need to adjust to adjust the tension.

2-13mm bolts that hold the PS pump in place from the backside of the pump. the upper one is hidden by the aluminum bracket under the waterpump and thermostat flange. I find it easiest to get this bolt with a shallow socket and a 6" extension with a wobbler end.

then there is the tensioner bolt that you back out or tighten to the propper tension. you need to be VERY carefull on how tight you make this. If you over tighten the belt you will wear out the bearings in the waterpump or even the PS pump and then have to replace them when they start to make horrible noises. typically I try to keep the belt just loose enough that it may on occasion slip when water is splashed on it and then tighten it a 1/2 turn more so that it will not do this again.

This experiance is from my 11 years of g60 ownership and 10 corrado g60s that I've owned.

Ah, now you mention it G60ING, I do sometimes get a bit of belt squeal on full r/h lock so perhaps I'll have a shufti and tweak it up a bit