Sign in to follow this  
cubed

16v pulley noise question

hi, ive just done my timing belt fired the engine up after rebuild and the engine running fine,however a nasty noise not disimilar to a trains wheels on a track has developed from the pulleys!

the pulley on the intermediate seemed worse for wear,it has what appears to be a friction material thats breaking away,is this the vibration damper?? sorry not done a lot on these engines before!

help urgently needed on this one,as always thanks for your help!

Interesting. vag changed mine last time, and replaced the pulley, since when she often makes a strange kind of rattly noise whilst warming up. took her back at the time but was told everything was fine. She still does it now, but I've kind of gotten used to it so can't be bothered to investigate it

hi, ive just done my timing belt fired the engine up after rebuild and the engine running fine,however a nasty noise not disimilar to a trains wheels on a track has developed from the pulleys!

the pulley on the intermediate seemed worse for wear,it has what appears to be a friction material thats breaking away,is this the vibration damper?? sorry not done a lot on these engines before!

help urgently needed on this one,as always thanks for your help!

the early 16v's have an idler pulley that deflects the alternator belt around the waterpump, it has two sections to provide 'slip' against the speed of the water pumps actual drive belt (the PS belt too, inner one).

These things are notoriously crap and the bearing surface breaks up, they often chatter and rattle at certain temps and revs but the worst that can happen is your alternator belt comes off. I've never actually heard of them failing altogether though. The later 16v's have a better arrangement of pulleys that avoids the need for this one, you'd need all the pulleys and belts off a 2.0L 16v or a very late 1.816v to make the swap though.

The intermediate shaft does not have V-belt pulleys on it and it's hidden inside the timing belt cover, I think you're referring to the water pump pulleys.

Also, if you're referrring to the crank shaft v-belt pulleys, the large one has a damper built into it, but it's solid bonded rubber and rarely fails, my 15yr old one is fine although I've heard of a 2L 8v one that went.

David.

that sounds like the culprit!

no time to do a full swap though i,l need to just replace the pulley for now i assume?

thanks loads for your help!!

right job done but the tensioner is causing me problems,if i tighten it it squeals nastily,but if i back it of even the smallest amount the belt flaps,

just wondering if im doin somethin wrong??cant deal with the squeal very long! :D

sorted it!

just took a bit of messin with the tension.

runs lovely and smooth now.

just a service and tune to go!

sorted it!

just took a bit of messin with the tension.

runs lovely and smooth now.

just a service and tune to go!

Pain in the arse aren't they?

Took about a week to get mine just right, seems to be the cams being pushed round by the valve gear when you slacken the belt that makes things tricky, you think you've got it right, then run the engine and it's tension changes. I found marking the centre of the tensionner against is outer part and moving it round a tiny bit at a time was the best way.

David.