Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged

Cleaning BMC air filter cartridges

My MPG has dropped below 55 the last 2 tanks... (terrible I know!) and I think the air filter is overdue a clean from disconecting the intake pipe and having a look into it...

What is the procedure for cleaning these and what with, also how long do i need to do it as it will need to dry out - just don't want to damage the MAF!

Can replacement cartridges be bought, if so where from?

TIA

Just take the element out and wash it with soap powder and hot water until the guaze goes white. You can dry it out with a hair dryer if you're in a hurry, then just reoil it with regular K&N filter oil.

I suspect BMC will want quite a lot for a replacement element as it's built into a plastic funnel.

you can dry it out with a hair dryer if you're in a hurry

Thats a good idea... providing you have a hairdryer... which I don't, lol

Yeah - not sure about K&N oil now with MAF's...

you can dry it out with a hair dryer if you're in a hurry

Thats a good idea... providing you have a hairdryer... which I don't, lol

Yeah - not sure about K&N oil now with MAF's...

Is that why your hair is like that! All the towel drying! :lol:

Yeah yeah yeah...

I cleaned it anyway under a warm tap for quite a while with a bit of washing up liquid, let it dry overnight then re-oiled with K&N oil... seems alot better now (it should do after all the dirt that came out of it!)

Kev- it might be worth looking into one of those filter socks if you running the air filter down in the inner arch. they use then for off road racing with great results..

Cheers, I might look into a K&N 'prefilter' but when I cleaned it last I wrapped it in some silicon impregnated 'rainstop', which is a course foam type stuff which doesn't seem to impede flow, but does deflect water and larger grains of grit. Always on the lookout for better solutions tho!

Probably a silly question, but which side of the filter should i apply the oil after cleaning?? i'm using Green cotton filter cleaner and oil, it states you need to apply it to the interior of the filter, but a BMC is the opposite of 'standard' induction filters, so should i apply the oil to the 'interior' where the dirty air enters, or the outside where the clean air leaves?

I guess it makes no difference, but i could get a more uniform cover on the outside.....

wash it from the inside out, don't run it under a tap the same way as the air flows as that forcing dirt into the filter, I used to dry mine in the airing cupboard over night.

then just use a small amount of oil sprayed on the outside of filter.

the K&N recharge kit is worth getting

it's already washed properly (is actually from the outside of the cylinder to the inside on a BMC to wash the dirt back off the filter)

Then spraying oil on the outside is the opposite to what toad reccommended above... all very confusing! and not exactly life or death!

thats a useful but of info, cheers for that, will use sparingly,

looking forward to a sunny weekend in the peak district with a nice shiney 'rado, working beautifully, with that lovely vr6 noise back to full potential!