Sign in to follow this  
Bendy

nasty knocking

Hi guys, as the title says i have a knocking coming from the front passenger side, and also when i pull off and am slowing down i can hear a squeak, any ideas as what this could be?? was thinking along the lines of driveshaft,cv joint or wheel bearing??? any help would be great, thanks in advance

A few questions...Does it occur when you're turning left or right or neither? Does it happen more at low speed or at any speed? Is it a a loud clunk or a continuous tapping? It could be a few things.

well its kind of all the time, when i turn its knocking, when im at slow speeds its a knocking and when almost stopped its a squeak, and when i pull off (ooo errr) its a squeak for a while and then a knocking. its also like that when going round a corner, someone also mentioned it could be a engine/gearbox mount, but didnt think that would squeak???

If its not the old 'mouse trapped in the front wing' problem, it could be so many things. [1] Slow turning on full lock, resulting in a clunking sound usually means bearings - so yes, please do check for a cracked boot too.

[2] Springs and suspension can squeak if rusty or half broken.

[3] YES engine mounts can "squeak" & "knock" - if the rubber perishes it will fill with water and rust the innards of that mount; the pivot will squeck and the thud of the engine as it hits* the mount will create that loud clunk noise!

*upon firm acceleration the engine twists, and thus pivot poins and rubber mounts are fitted. If there is no rubber joint acting as it should, you get Metal on Metal.

You can test this "knock" on your driveway, by agressivly dropping the clutch in 1st and then bringing it back in again, forcing the engine to 'rock' - helps if you have the bonnet open and someone peeking at the motor to see it rocks.

If it doesnt make a sound on this test, then your mounts are fine! Try somthing else...

i had this for a while, and turned out to be the wishbone bolt loose :shocked!:

and also sounds very similar to when my front bearing went, easy to check, jack up the front, put your hand on the suspension strut and spin the wheel, see if it feels rough or lumpy through your hand, should be smooth and quiet!

Andy

dr_mat :lol: man that thread was funny made me chuckle some what, but that dont help me with my problem, made it go away for a while tho, an man who ever that girl is, she's a hotty!! :norty:

well had the car up on a ramp at the jag garage as i know 1 of the mechanic's there, had a look under the car and came across a split rubber boot, i think it was on the drive shaft, so i guess that would account for the knocking and squeak!! well i hope it does!! lol cheers for all the replys tho guys

....sounds basic but have you checked your wheel studs ? it`s something i experienced after going to one of those quick fit places, they usually wap them up so tight that even the arnie schwarzenegger couldnt get them off