Sign in to follow this  
moneypit23

What bits will i need?

Hello all, i was driving to work very early this morning and hit a rabbit or hare. I couldn't avoid it despite braking hard but it was national speed limit + un-lit road + corrado lights = not a good outlook.

The car is driving fine but when the sun came up there was lots of plastic not where it was before or not there at all.

I took a picture after i managed to secure whats left with cable ties and now i need to know what the bits i need are called so i can get them from GSF or euro car parts.

Many thanks in advance.

Looks like the splitter was ripped off it's bolts? you did a good job securing it altho you could just rip it off for now...

If its just that then the best place to get new is either VW or GPC, yours is the 90mm version but there is a 50mm version available which will fit and is about half the price, it doesn't look as good IMO but better if the car is lowered or you scrape the current one alot...

Best to get a few new bolts as well...

The plastic grate is smashed too.... probably VW only for that part and be prepared for it to be on back order.

The spoiler can come from GPC etc though.....

Bl00dy animals.... they should be made liable for the damage they cause :-)

I hit a pheasant at 60mph a while back and unbelievabley the only damage was a taken out fog lense, the whole bit of glass smashed off in a neat square. No other marks at all.....I got off lightly but it was satisfying seeing the wretched bird bounching down the road in my wake. Should have collected it for a nice game dinner :-)

you would definitely need a new rabbit. And the lower grille. I have some aluminium mesh, looks alright actually. At least a solution until you get some new grille or whatever :)

hehe, relax, I got it raised a bit for the winter. I'd like it to be that low again, though, as it sits quite high on its snow tyres (195/45-15) now. Doesn't scrub too much, really.

The bottom part of the bumper that is cracked and bent (Not the bit that fell off) is called the air guide grill. This has two variations depending on when your car was made.

I am guessing you need VAG part number: 535 853 671 J this is about £45 inc VAT and is suitable for cars 50-N-000-001 to end of line, you can find this number as part of the VIN number.

As for re-attaching the front splitter I would go with the get some bigger washers plan and fit those as it will save you some serious cash (£100 + for a new 90mm one from VAG)

You will need the following new bolts and fastners if you have some missing.

5 x N 015 946 1 Hex Head Panel Screw (A6 5x19)

5 x N 101 473 01 Snap nut (ST6 3x24.5x16)

5 x N 904 338 01 Fitted bolt self locking (B6,3x30)

That is all the bits that hold the splitter onto the bottom of the bumper, I would expect you to have some of those missing and I would also expect you will need some washers so they don't pull through where it was ripper off.