STORM 2

number relay for coolant warning light + gauge

is the same relay responsible for the above. Does anyone know its number and location? cheers

No relay involved.

Coolant sender level inputs to dash insert (rpm/speedo) plus it also has the temp sender (yellow) in thermostat housing. It computes low level or over hot from their readings.

Bump.

Does anyone know how this setup works on the 2.0 16v? My coolant level led has been flashing now solidly since getting some work done on the car recently and i'm wondering it the thermostat setup is the same on the valvers, and has been disturbed (not connected) as I did have the thermostat changed...

I can't bear the blinking light any more!!

Bump.

Does anyone know how this setup works on the 2.0 16v? My coolant level led has been flashing now solidly since getting some work done on the car recently and i'm wondering it the thermostat setup is the same on the valvers, and has been disturbed (not connected) as I did have the thermostat changed...

I can't bear the blinking light any more!!

I'd look at the connection to the header tank Jim. Maybe the header tank sensor is rooted otherwise.

Header tank connector is on nice and tight and the header tank is about 2 months old, brand new from VAG! :(

Level was low this morning (i dont think i'll ever sort out my coolant problems on this fricking car) but I have filled it up previously to a suitable level and no dice. I'm wondering if the VW sensor is just very very sensitive as i'd filled it to in between min and max but perhaps it expects to be quite over that and at max?! I'll top it up more tomorrow and go from there.

Hm. So does the sensor in the bottle expect the level to be MAX all the time or what? I drove to work this morning (light flashing away) and when I got to work I popped the bonnet to check if the level had risen as the car warmed up (which it did) so I stopped the car and restarted it and the light didn't start flashing again. But at this point the level was actually OVER max....

I just don't think thats right somehow.

The sensor in the bottle is just two metal 'prongs', that complete the circuit through the coolant itself. When the fluid level falls too low the circuit is broken, (as there is no coolant between the prongs) and the light starts flashing. The prongs go down to just below the 'min' line though....so even with the coolant at the min level it shouldn't be flashing.

Could be a loose connection or a fault with the wire between the sensor and the dash?

Bumping a very old thread here. I have the same as Jim. Flashing dash when I'd say the temp and the level is ok. The two pin, on the tank then, should be a circuit with the coolant in it? Can I test that with a multimeter. And then the plug for continuity.

It was a duff expansion bottle in my case - GSF strikes again. Replaced it with a genuine VAG one and it was fine again. Think the plug wasn't connecting properly because the molding of the connection on the expansion tank bottle wasn't quite right.

Hmm I bought a tank yesterday from ECP and it fits the blue cap so tightly and the plug didn't fit tightly at all either. I've ditched it today. I had a almost new oem fitted befor. But it had a hole in, it was £45 again from Tps.. I've got a very old oemone fitted now and it's still flashing