Sign in to follow this  
Bones

225s on 17s

Help needed....just bought some 17s with 225 *45 series 17 tyres the wheels are 7j rims but they won't fit my vr6 i.e the strut touches the tyre .Has anyone any recommendations on what to do ...i.e fit different tyres (205s) or will I be better getting a set of coilovers . It seems as though I will need to space the rears by 20mm plus don't know about the fronts .I'm not too bothered about going low . Cheers

I had 17x7.5s on my old VR6 with 225/35 rubber. Needed the rear arches rolling (Premier in Northampton did it for about £80) but they still rubbed under load. Mad tyres.

Now I have 17x7s with 215/40 rubber on a VR6. Lowering the car in a few weeks so will report back.

Having owned Corrados since 1998, it's fair to say that 205/40 is the favourite tyre on a 17" rim, with a few fans of 215/40.

For what it's worth, the turn in on my old 225/35s was amazing - Jason Plato drove it when i did an episode of "Driven" and said the same thing, and he should know I guess

Rgds

Piers

Just changed allthe suspension back to standard the tyres still dont fit albeit funnily enough the bottom spring mounts are slightly higher on the standard struts both front & back (food for thought!!) I'm even thinking of going to 16s if I can exchange the wheels . If anyones interested I would even have had to put spacers on the front 5-8mm so as to clear the calipers!!

I think overall the best option in future would be to fit adjustable susp and then go for wheels ,I presume coilovers are narrower and so will give better clearance .