Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

Recent suspension change

Hi !

I have recently changed all shocks, springs and mounts plates the lot with Koni H&R variaty. After installing myself in the rain i took it for a spin and was impressed but at the same time disapointed with the feel of the drivetrain through the steering wheel. There didnt seem to be any major knocking and klonking but I wasnt happy ! So on went new complete wishbones, trackrod ends and ball joints. I also brought some wheel bearings but hav nt fitted them as yet . Still not intirely happy with the feeling through the steering but it definitely made a difference !

I am running the konis on half a turn on the rears and one and a half or maybe two, as i read this is what vince sets it to.

The tyres have pretty much had it on the front and dip in the centres.

The rears have raised tread in areas not to mention old. I havnt had the geometry done at stealth yet ever was thinking about fitting bearings first .

Anyway do you think its a combination of all these factors that are given me this undesirable ride at the moment ?

Thanks for any info !

VRT :)

You're running the fronts with too much pressure, hence being worn in the middle. Ignore the VW 36psi pressure....that's why they wear in the middle.

Change the tyres, you'll be amazed what a difference that will make and yeah, get a 4 wheel alignment done too.

I found the Koni/H&R setup to be one of the best around for daily usability, so something isn't right. Check the konis aren't leaking too. If they make a pssshht noise over bumps, they're knackered. I had 2 sets of fronts replaced under warranty because of that (and they leaked) due to a bad batch.

I run 32 front, 30 rear.....have done on all my VWs since 1995 and on all wheel sizes :-)

Don't forget that if you put 36psi in when cold, by the time you're doing 80mph, that pressure will have increased to about 38-39psi!

Thanks for the advice kevHaywire Ive just ordered myself a set Kumho KU31 off Mill Autos on Ebay for £172 delivered! Good price I thought ? Gonna stay with the speedlines for a little while longer Ive decided !

Ill use those tyre pressures aswell cheers ! :wink:

Sorry forgot to ask kevHaywire do Ineed to bed in the H&Rs or are the settings Im using too high on the front ? I have heard you have the front harder than the rears, but have also heard from someone that I need to bed the springs in on the lowest settings ?

Cheers for any advice !

Nah, I've always cranked up the Konis from day one. 1.5 front, 0.5 rear seems to work best on the VR, so leave them at that mate.

The H&R springs take a while to 'loosen up' and after a couple of years they will have dropped another 10mm or so.

I run 32 front, 30 rear.....have done on all my VWs since 1995 and on all wheel sizes :-)

Don't forget that if you put 36psi in when cold, by the time you're doing 80mph, that pressure will have increased to about 38-39psi!

I always do them when warm, but then I have noticed as the fronts have got close to the wear markers they're definitey slightly more worn in the centre which does imply they're over inflated.

36 is only for half load as well, says something stupid on the door sticker like 40 for full load! :shock:

I've got some new RE720s to fit, so I'll try a slightly lower pressure with these, cheers for the advice. :)