Sign in to follow this  
billinjah

g60 gearbox recommendations.

right ive got a spare gearbox now that i want to build up with uprated internals. which lsd do people recommend peloquin or quaife are there any others?

with regards to gear selection ive read a lot about this i was thinking about a vr first and second a g60 3rd and 4th and a golf diesel 5th. but then talking to ben on msn last night he said why not just bung the whole set of vr gears in the g60 casing? is this possible?

those that have built gearboxes did you find any good resources? i could do with a good schematic so i know where all the bits go!

personally i would only have 1st and 2nd VR gears and the rest G60... i think getting the box right would give you better performace feel.

Get one like mine Bill, G60 or 16V bellhousing, VR6 1st / 2nd / 4th and 5th gears, G60 final drive (or 3.94 final drive if you want mental acceleration but low top speed) Peloquin ATB (automatic torque-biasing) differential, and Sachs helix clutch with lightened and balanced flywheel and you won't go wrong.

Has been a few discussions on this previously though mate :wink:

Cheers

Get one like mine Bill, G60 or 16V bellhousing, VR6 1st / 2nd / 4th and 5th gears, G60 final drive (or 3.94 final drive if you want mental acceleration but low top speed) Peloquin ATB (automatic torque-biasing) differential, and Sachs helix clutch with lightened and balanced flywheel and you won't go wrong.

Has been a few discussions on this previously though mate :wink:

Cheers

Hi all.

I dropped my gearbox over to a good friend of mine yesterday. Shear fluke he has a VR6 box just built up with new internals!! The owner despite many calls has never returned to the workshop with the rest of his payment. Its sat in the shop since Nov last year. My mate said what ever I want for my transmisson I can have. I swapped him a set of Koni's and Eibach springs for his Saab...

What shall I have fitted.

I read a post on the search about VR 1st and 2nd so they are already claimed. What does 4th n 5th do for the car?

Answers appreciated.

Will the 1st and 2nd from a VR6 in a G60 box make any diference in 1/4 mile time?

yes for sure you will be able to put the power down and get the car moving allot better, and make use of the g60`s torque

Will the 1st and 2nd from a VR6 in a G60 box make any diference in 1/4 mile time?

Well so the folks on this place say... :D I did a search and the words were 65 mph in 2nd gear so you don't waste time shifting to 3rd to get to 65 = faster faster more power. Nah I just love the car but I wont turn up the chance for brand new internals inside the box o cogs...

I was wondering what other stuff will go in the gearcase. My mate will know when he looksa at the two setups in detail. Recomendations are good though. Anybody know what the upper gears will do.

so when you reach 65 in 2nd, doesn't 3rd still gear out at 80? If so, I'd rather stick with the strong 3rd... Someone please clarify this for me!!!

I've gone down this road before. Here are a few topics on the Vortex that I've put together:

02a/O2A Gearing/Gear ratios, $Prices$, and other helpful hints:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=642917

tearing an 02A/O2A tranny down to its sub assemblies:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=767717

My 1st impressions of 02A/O2A CDM gearing in my G60 Corrado transmission:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=798125

Please note my comments in that last thread about the 1.8L and 2L strokes.

FYI there is a MK4 1.8T transmission with gearing nearly identical to what you want to build. Why not get a low milage unit and just drop in a a quaife or peliquin?

how much power could a G60 box take with the vr internals and a LSD, what sort of power would it take to break, (a lot of drag racing action)

i have a VR box for sale if n e ones interested as im going down the quaiffe 6 speed route now,

I would say about 300BHP, perhaps a bit more but that would have to be with an uprated helix clutch for longevity, however VR6 clutch is supposed to be good for up 300BHP,

Cheers

typically its not the hp that breaks the parts btw there is no additional strength with VR gears. They are the same quality as the G60 gears. The only differeance is the ratios. What breaks the gears is the torque. This is why 500whp Hondas do not have much of a problem with their transmissions. Hondas typically have really high hp but are weak in the torque department. Also it depends upon how you drive. If you easy into the power you will not break as many parts. If you dragrace hard you will see lots of unusual failures.

typically you will break a Diff first so you should upgrade with a peliquin or Quaife

Then come motor mounts. I upgraded to Vibra technics comp. mounts

Then you begin breaking CV joints. There are a few levels to chose from here and the first thing to is start by having spare axles and CVs from a stock car. Here in the USA we can get rebuilt axles with CVs for $50 but they don't hold up well because the CVs have been machined and this causes them to lose their hardness. the best cheap alternative is to get NEW OEM CV replacements as this is often what many axle manufactures offer as an upgrade and charge you $500+, The next step is to get a set of stage 3 axles which are fully custom axles and often require other modifications to the output flanges or whatnot.

Then you will see motor mount brackets cracking/breaking

After you see all of the above failures you typically will have gear failures.

Somewhere allong the line you will need a better clutch.

Typically 300whp will not cause gear failures in a 02A or 02J and the order that I posted the failures can often change if your parts are already weakend from neglect.

After having installed a quaife, Vibra tech motor mounts and a VR6 clutch I am not too worried about major failures in a 220whp G60 Corrado that will run a 14.4 1/4 mile. BUT I do take to the track a spare set of $50 axles and motormount brackets.

G60ING, Heh man, where have you been? I havent seen you around for ages now! Glad that you still have your G60 though.

G60ING, Heh man, where have you been? I havent seen you around for ages now! Glad that you still have your G60 though.

I've been building this object that tries to stretch the day so I can do more work in a 24 period and still get some sleep. Sadly the device is a failure and I have to just stretch myself thin.