Sign in to follow this  
andycowuk

Question for MOT tester

Hi

I have a 92 J G60, and am planning to ditch the CAT, I am certain from the reading I have done that this will be ok, but I want confirmation first hand from someone who knows the answer!

Is this exempt from the emissions testing?

Will this pass MOT?

In case anyone is interested I am hoping to go for a supersprint manifold and system with 120 x 80 oval tail.

Thanks

Andrew

mot get a tad iffy with no cat.

basically you need to be under 3%. which is quite some lee-way over standard.

it will go richer without the cat.

if it fails, trim the fueling on the CO-pot at the station before you go on as you cant adjust during the ticket. as long as your O2 system is working properly you should be ok though.

If it was registered after 1 Aug 92 as dazzyvr6 says then it will need the cat fitted regardless of the emmissions levels. You could always get it tested with the cat and then swap the bypass pipe back on afterwards, although I have come across a few friendly mot testers who are happy to check the cat whilst having their eyes closed so as not to notice that it is missing.

just confirming ehat has been already said, its from August the 1st 92 as I've just had mine MOT and I asked the guy doing it. He recommended taking it off.

the car doesn't have to have a cat at any age, it just has to pass emissions. not many cars will pass if not fitted with a cat after 92. some will. when you get even newer it becomes near on impossible.

if its a visual check then you may fail but we dont have um over here.

believe the new test is staged where if you fail the initial test it goes into a more lengthy rigorous one.

the car doesn't have to have a cat at any age, it just has to pass emissions. not many cars will pass if not fitted with a cat after 92. some will. when you get even newer it becomes near on impossible.

if its a visual check then you may fail but we dont have um over here.

believe the new test is staged where if you fail the initial test it goes into a more lengthy rigorous one.

all cars from 'L reg' need to have a cat fitted and not just for emissions, they must be fitted ( visual ) and working ( emissions ) take off at your peril as if you get stopped for a police roadside emissions test, its a big fine if not fitted

Just gut the cat it doesn't take much work and avoids hassles

Skye

but it sounds tinny as hell, and sounds like its blowing all the time, did this friday

I have bought the system, thanks for your help guys.....I am putting the car in for MOT when I get it going again around end sept. Will let you know if there are any probs!

Andrew

all cars from 'L reg' need to have a cat fitted and not just for emissions, they must be fitted ( visual ) and working ( emissions ) take off at your peril as if you get stopped for a police roadside emissions test, its a big fine if not fitted

There is no Big fine issued- i took my cat off along time ago (post 92 car) and

have been pulled by the filth many times (damm them!) and had my car inspected and they have never questioned me for having removed the cat- and in ay case even if they were to winge about it, you are given seven days to rectify any fault with your car- So dont worry! 8)

There is no Big fine issued- i took my cat off along time ago (post 92 car) and

have been pulled by the filth many times (damm them!) and had my car inspected and they have never questioned me for having removed the cat- and in ay case even if they were to winge about it, you are given seven days to rectify any fault with your car- So dont worry! 8)

but were you stopped for a roadside emissions test? thats the one im on about not a general pull up " is this your car sir" and the fines are up to £ 1000 i believe. but hey who wants a cat anyway, mines gone.

They probably have been just the generall pullover jobs as ive never had anything "stuck up my exhaust" :? so i must of been lucky! :D

My cats staying off though. :twisted: