Sign in to follow this  
olly elworthy

1990 golf gti 8v fault

right this is a strange one,,

car is a 1990 mk2 golf gti 8v,, (later model with the hazard warning button on the steering column)

every now and again the fuse pump fuse will blow,, particularly when the car has been running for a while,,

when this happens eevrytimne ytou replace the fuse it will instantly blow, until you leave teh car for a few hours and then you can replace the fuse and drive as normal,,

when the car is experiencing the fault i have disconnected both ethe pumps and replaced teh fuse and it still blows,, so we can rule the fuel pumps out of the equation,,

thought it may be the fuel pump relay doing something weird when it gets hot,, changed that and still the same,,

something must be going to ground for teh fuse to blow when the car gets hot,,

also another thing,, when the car is running and you pull out the fuel pump fuse the gar stutters then dies as it runs out of fuel as you would expect it to,, but when the fault occurs the fuse bvlows and the car dies instantly,, which makes it seem that something non fuel related is causing the short,,

really scratching my head with this one,, any help or suggestions much appreciated,,, :D

doesent seem to be anthing according to the wiring diagram,, although i know the golfs with the hazard warning switch on the steering column are wired differently to the older models,, not covered in the haynes,, grrrrr

any suggestions greatly appreciated as i am really banging my head against a wall with this one,,