Sign in to follow this  
ross.taylor

Another rough VR6 - Help!

I have a 1994 VR6 with a coilpack and no dizzy. I guess I should start with my local mechanic replacing the rocker cover gasket because I thought it was leaking oil. He thought it was more likely to be the oil filter and sorted this at the same time.

But when I got it back it was running very rough, he said that he had noticed sparks around the coilpack, but didnt have time to sort it then. I had a look at it in the dark, and there were lots of sparks aound the socket closest to the top front of the car.

Long story short: new leads and coilpack - still rough. My mechanic pointed out that the spark at that socket was much weaker, before the coilpack and after. I'm thinking plugs, but anyone got any other ideas?

Start praying its the plugs mate. Most likely is.

Unfortunately i thought mine was the plugs after doing everything else (started with same symptoms as you), but turns out the no.6 plug is oiling up. Valve problems of some sort. Recon'd head on its way shortly :(

But yours IS just a £2.50 spark plug mate. POSITIVE THINKING BUD! :)

Right o, fingers crossed. Of course I havent noticed a lead removal tool in my car, but I havent really looked yet.

My mechanic mate who has done lots of work on my car, said that he didnt think that it would be the plugs when I called him the other day, but he didnt really say why. I guess I'll have to give it a shot and hope.

Hi posh,

If clive doesnt have the tool, pop up to see pipes at cairns rd. He was doing a golf VR the other day. You coul give him a buzz for an opinion anyway? 01179420241

Bazzer.

The arcing is more likely to be lead related if you replaced the coilpack.

Did you ensuren the leads were pressed full home and what leads did you use by way of replacement? I've found that only the VAG ones are man enough for the job in the long run. Expensive they are my young padawan, but the best they are.....by a BIG margin.

I've also discovered that the front bank of 3 is subjected to water ingress when driving in wet weather and the plug connections can sometimes fur up, so lift out the front 3 and make sure there are no tell tale white arcing deposits.