Sign in to follow this  
Craig

Mobile scam?

Not sure if anyones posted this before but with in the last week ive had a call from this no. 07089705208 on my new phone and old one, and it hangs up when you answer it. wanting to know who it is i rang them back and no one picked up!

i know its not a lot but on my bill ive been charged about 20p for letting it ring for around 10 seconds! and around 50p on my other no. obviously this adds up if a lot of people are caught out! im on contract with free minutes and this is a premium no. so not sure if it would cost more from payg? just thought id try and stop the bastards making money off us!

No phone can barr specific numbers from calling you - equally, no network can either.

07089 is not a premium rate number, therefore you have been charged wrong. Take it up with your Service Provider as it is a breach of the pricing of 070 numbers and incoming calls set out by OFCOM/OFTEL.

Only 70p, but as you say, 70p you shouldn't have to pay.

Equally, alerting them to it will trigger an investigation if others are being cheated like this.

070 numbers belong to 'anywhere on the planet' forwarding services ("Personal Numbering Services" in OFTEL-speak) and can cost the caller about 50p per minute. Officially, they're not 'premium rate' numbers, which are regulated by ICSTIS and can cost £s per minute.

Oftel notes on acceptable usage

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/nu ... _070_guide

and some proposals for future rules

http://www.ofcomwatch.co.uk/2005/10/ofc ... ent-of-070

I found one in a lottery scam email the other day.

I dunno if you'll be able to do much about the 70p charge as you did call the number voluntarily and it wasn't linked with any other nefarious/promotional activity that you know of.

However, it might just be worth reporting in case it's part of a wider issue with the hanging up instantly thing. ISTR there's been some recent regulation about automatic pre-diallers for telesales teams that often hang up the call or leave long silences before a sales drone can take over. Many of the recipients of such calls report them as harassment cases to the police because that's exactly how some nuisance/stalker callers behave.

I suspect OFTEL would take a dim view if they were identifying themselves with an 070 code on caller-id if that were case.

Then again, it might just have been a genuine wrong number...

Useful link: ukphoneinfo.com lookup reveals the number belongs to a block originally allocated to Cheers International Telecom Ltd. who would have been the telecom operator who issued it to the first user of that number. I doubt they'd be able to give you any other info due to the Data Protection Act as it's nominally a personal line, though.

That site's dead handy for figuring out what magnitude of charges to expect when you call a phone number, however. Might help avoid problems in the future.

No phone can barr specific numbers from calling you - equally, no network can either.

mine phone can fella!!!! got loads of numbers barred, landlady and ex's

Interesting, I had this last week but with 07096807541. I didn't bother ringing back, I was a little suspicious.

Also the day before I had the same but it said "No number", so even if I wanted to call back I couldn't.

Sony Ericssons and Siemens phones can be set to only ring with people in your phone book call you, but the LG doing it for individual numbers is interesting. Not heard of that.

Bet 3 don't know it does that either...

A couple of weeks ago a withheld number kept ringing me over about 4 days. Whenver I answered it hung up, but if I didn't answer it kept ringing. Was really starting to annoy me so the next day I was going to ring Vodafone but it stopped and hasn't happened since. Wierd, huh?