Sign in to follow this  
GazzaG60

differences between 16v exhaust cams.

Are there any differences between the 9a and kr exhaust cams.

i know the inlet is different. i plan on either a 2 exhaust cam or KR camset to run the engine in on before looking into the solid lifter some more.

what im aiming at is can i use a kr and 9a exhaust cam pair

thanks

Gazza

spoke to vince. he said he think that 9a are the same but not sure about 6a.

im happy at that now. ill go with the closest measured one.

any advise on cam cutting, techniques etc

no i got the last one from vince today.

i mean im lead to believe you have to make mods to the cam to fit it. ie cutting the cam down at the pulley end to fit it.

i could be talking gobshite but would like to know from those who have done it.

see im in this dylema where i know i have to run new cams in at r 2000+rpm for 20 minutes or so and have also to seat the rings by reving up and allowing the engine to slow itself for a little while before i full thottle map. thats my way anyway and both principle contradict each other so i plan on using standard preused cams for inital start and run-in.

spoke to vince. he said he think that 9a are the same but not sure about 6a.

im happy at that now. ill go with the closest measured one.

any advise on cam cutting, techniques etc

They're all the same exhaust cams (KR,9A, 6A) until you get to the very last of the 6A's and into the ACE audi 16v blocks, where they change over to the exhaust cam from the ABF mk3 16v block.

David.

await a reply from flusted but thought id open it up to others in case he is busy or somfink

so would a 91 6a be abf or 6a, if you know whjat i mean. can you tell from looking at the engine.

take it the ace is the audi abf?

it would be a 6a cam,The cam will need cutting down to the same length as the inlet cam and you will need to trim a bit off the dizzy drive.

Then get a modded chainwheel fitted to correct timing

await a reply from flusted but thought id open it up to others in case he is busy or somfink

so would a 91 6a be abf or 6a, if you know whjat i mean. can you tell from looking at the engine.

take it the ace is the audi abf?

audi 6A block from chassis no 8C-N 160 000 use ABF cams, in practice, very few I'd have thought, most will be just like the 9A, except the sump and oil pickup pipe of course.

thanks guys.

that will help me loads.

im gonna update my post in the gallery soon. i nearly got my short runner finished and a few other bits too.

what are you guys revving your engines to with the cams. have you had any bottom end work done to match? i plan on 7500 from the hydro cams

thanks guys.

that will help me loads.

im gonna update my post in the gallery soon. i nearly got my short runner finished and a few other bits too.

what are you guys revving your engines to with the cams. have you had any bottom end work done to match? i plan on 7500 from the hydro cams

yeah, fine, the bottom end can take it, but KR or ABF inlet cams peak at around 6,000rpm so if you want to shift the power band up towards 7,500 you'll be looking at higher lift shricks or something, especially if you want to get the most from a P&P head.

I have a brand new 6A bottom end, it came straight from the factory and is easily as smooth as my 'balanced' 2L bored KR short engine I had from TSR.

It does pull strongly to the red line on KR cams with a 2L block and flowed head though, 176bhp and 154lb/ft at the last count, for a daily driver I wouldn't want to lose any bottom end torque with higher lift cams.

David.

see im not gonna hit full boost till around 4600-5000 rpm. itll hold boost till gone 8k. im happy with the bottom end im using. its like new. bored, honed and 83mm wisecos fitted, crank polished etc.

im gonna fit p&p for sure, not sure what im gonna have done valve and spring wise.

im planning on using it daily to start with but id expect it to be a tad agressive for a daily driver. not too bothered about the low end as the top will more than make up for the shortcomings. im leaving the G60 behind cos it produces too much low down and not enough over 5k

im leaving the G60 behind cos it produces too much low down and not enough over 5k

must be a lot of clear roads up around manchester :)

M62 not far away, eh Gazza....

just use a hacksaw on the cam, cut through like butter. I bet Andy has an air one somewhere, easier still.

Gavin

i got trans penine roads 5 minutes 1 way and m62 5 minutes the other, cannae lose for clear roads, shame about the state of some of um.

its the subaru competition that brings on this job. as h100vw could tell these are not normal scoobies. we think tuned G60's are quick till you drive one of these.

we got snap on galore now mate. proper american hotrod styleee.

my hands are knackered through sawing and grinding to make the short runner. more work due to our lack off ally welding skills. the -2c and cold, compressed air is pretty nasty

im gonna have him though mate as i will be tuning the new 2.4 motor thats going in his car :wink: just tweak some timing out n lower the boost..... :D . he's had custom cam profiles done by piper for it. and that t04r but he's only got 720cc injectors and they will be his limit. better order those 820cc's soon for mine. in all seriousness i want to see how my (hopefully) 400hp+ 2wd does against his 550hp+ subaru. i tihnk itll be close run.

a side note: most of the subaru gang are going vag at the moment. 1 s2 and 2 gits.

sorry guys back on topic.