Sign in to follow this  
matth76

Shrick 268 cams...are they a worthwhile mod?

Hi

Does anyone have Shrick 268 cams (just on their own not with the Shrick inlet manifold) fitted to their corrado vr6?

I currently have a cat back exhaust, high flow cat and 6 branch exhaust manfold and soon to be fitted BMC. On my last rolling road session it measured 191-195bhp and that was before the 6 branch and BMC fitted...so I'm assuming my car is around the 200bhp mark with all of these mods...maybe bit more or less.

I'm interested to know whether fitting Shrick 268 cams (just the cams not the manifold too) will provide a worthwhile hike in torque and power from 3000 revs onwards?

Anyone know roughly how much they are? Are they ~£500? I can get them fitted for free as I'm having other work done at the same time...Stealth are doing the work. If I do go ahead with the shrick cams I will also get a full stealth remap (£300+vat). All in all around the £800 mark plus vat so pretty expensive !dodge ... therefore I need to know are the shrick cams (on their own with my current mods) worth it? Will I see a big improvement in power? I'm keeping the car for quite a few years to come and it has currently done about 80k miles.

What kind of rolling road figures have any of you had with fitting 268 cams with just an exhaust and induction kit?

Cheers

Matt

Anyone?

Is a vernier pulley recommended too? What does the vernier pulley do exactly? Does it get more power from the cams or is it used to ensure the timing is spot on?

It's a great combo, and a classic one, but very costly for wat you gain. I would sugest buying one of the cheaper brands of cams. I have Cat's , I'm not sure who sells them in the uk. If you can get the manifold and cams used, it may be more economical.

You can't get a vernier for the VR but 268's are a good mod to an NA VR6, there is a pair for sale in the er, for sale section :wink:

Thanks would they fit a golf 2.8 vr6 or are they only for the corrado 2.9 vr6?

Also how much is the going rate for a good garage to fit a flowed head to a vr?

Yep - they're not unique to the 2.9.

I've driven mine with 268s (with and without the schrick manifold) and they're definitely better with. Without, there is a slight drop in bottom end torque and they don't really kick in until about 3800rpm and then it pulls harder to the redline. Only good for about 10hp on their own.

I would personally get on the Supercharger GB. £2000 inc VAT for one of those is less than a Schrick and 268s and you get 100hp more instead of 15-20.

Was thinking that. Value for money wise the sc is far better. What type of supercharger is it and is that price fitted? How much would it cost for a garage to fit it? I know a remap is required too. I may be getting a rechip at stealth this week actually to sort out some pinking issues. Would anything else be required and will this supercharger fit a golf vr 2.8 or is it for both corrado or golf?

I'll go and take a look at the group buy.

Yeah it fits the Golf and Corrado no probs.

The price is £2000 supply only. A £350 Stealth remap will be required on top. Fitting is about 4-5 hours for a competent DIY'er and maybe a day for someone that's not as good with the spanners. Probably about £300 to fit professionally.

If Stealth sort your chains, you won't need a remap, put it toward the charger instead ;-)