Sign in to follow this  
Dboy

Cams and heads

looking for suggestion on the way to go regarding cams and heads - anyone got tried and tested stuff?

comments graetly appreciated 8)

..then its only one cam you're looking for.

the head.. port it until it can be ported no more.

The G60's benefit lots from a nice bit of porting and polishing with added gas flowing...

It increases the torque nicely and puts a big grin on your face! :D

Cam wise, the standard cam isn't bad on a G60 (I've been researching this myself!) Both Piper and Schrick do cams specifically for the G60... Don't go too lairy with the durations as you'll start to have problems with the charger just blowing the fuel/air mix straight out of the engine into the exhaust at higher revs with a mad cam! :shock:

I know that Stealth and TSR do a bigger valve flowed head for around £600 + VAT or you could get yours flowed and polished like I did (before the engine expired!)

John (16VG60) did mine for me and was really good... PM him and have a chat...

You could also go a bit madder and put on a totally different head and take it up to a 16V, X-flow or if you're really brave, a 20V! :shock: :lol: Big power gains to be had there apparently... 8)

if the car has been remapped before new cam and flowed/ported head, will it run properly after? or will it need to be remapped with a new chip?

cheers for replies

..then its only one cam you're looking for.

i realise that just meant what different cams are available 8)

Mine was running OK on the standard chip with the ported head until the crank bolt sheared off... :roll:

I'd guess that a remap wouldn't hurt once you've cam'd and flow'd it as you'll need to change your fueling and timing 'cos the valves will be open at totally different times... I'd also guess that it'll still run OK on the chip you've already got, but it'd be better with the remap...

I could be totally wrong on this one though!

I ve got a tsr ported and polished big valve head on mine with a piper bp270 mild road cam and with the newley ported bad boy style supercharger rebuild and the custom chip it really does fly. Have a word with Darren when you go to pick up your car Dave as They're crossflow conversion is definately the way to go if you are looking for big power and bags of torque steve will be able to sort a suitable chip and map it to your needs if you do go the big valve head route

A schrick 276 cam with a vernier pulley is a good mod. But as with all forced induction engines, cam profiles are critical as you don't want a huge overlap where the boost just goes straight out of the open exhaust valves. The dyno torque curve would show a monster trough half way along, not nice.

The biggest restriction on the G60 is the head. Eurospec used to do a very nice big valve head which was a new cast, not a re-worked stock head. Therefore it had much bigger inlet and exhaust ports, not to mention bigger valves.

I'll try and dig up some info on Jereon Dik's old 8V G60 engine which had 50mm exhaust ports, VW Motorsport charger with toothed pulleys and numerous other bits and peices. I think this thing was generating 300bhp, or there abouts.

Having driven 'Supercharged's' G60 recently, I can really see the potential these engines have. Go for it!

Kev

OK! 8) Thanks all for advice

Ant - cheers mate, i'll have a word in Darrens shell, try and work out a master plan :D

Kev - cool info, nice one. i would be interested in seeing any bits you have on

Jereon Diks motor

thanks all

Here's his MK1 with the 8V G60 but it's now got a 340bhp 16V G60 in it! I'm struggling to find the specs for the 8V motor as it was done approx 5-6 years ago!

The car is a work of art. Notice the Corrado fogs/indicators in the Clipper bumper and the stretched (by 60mm) bonnet, to accomodate the huge full frontal intercooler.

The guy is a genius. He's the chap in the stripey shorts.

Kev

Venting the head breather into the washer bottle?!? Interesting idea.... Don't fancy looking outta his screen when he washes it while driving! :shock: :?

Beautiful clean install though... You wouldn't guess that it'd been modded that heavily... 8)