Sign in to follow this  
2_Door_fun

MK 2 oilcooler

Hi all.

Got hold of a Golf Oil cooler. I also have the required hose set to remove the heat exchanger. Is there anything else I need to fit this to my 60? Also I guess I remove the whole current filter housing to fit this??

As ever

Cheers

oil-cooler.jpg

Thats from a mk1 golf gti! If you wind out the long thread tube that the oil filter screws on,out of your g60 1,and fit it to the mk1 one,you can still use the heat exchanger.

Its not a good idea to do away with it

Ok. Cheers Flusted.

As a matter of interest. Why not remove the exchanger? Is it a debate still running on getting the oil up to temp fast or what?

So I spin out the threaded tube, Then remove the whole filter mount and bolt this in place and then refit the exchanger? Does the mount assembley need any kind of gasket when refitting to the block?

Edit...

Well got the filter mount on. Easier than expected. I love Allen bolts !!! So does anybody here run this cooler? Was wondering where you have mounted it? The bracket is wrong for the C so any ideas.

Cheers

prob not the best time to tell you this but its the same cooler vw used on there 50bhp beetles so might not help on a g60?

You must use new gaskets throughout as i learnt the hard way and lost £30 of oil down my parents driveway!

prob not the best time to tell you this but its the same cooler vw used on there 50bhp beetles so might not help on a g60?

You must use new gaskets throughout as i learnt the hard way and lost £30 of oil down my parents driveway!

Dong!!! I'll ge the power washer ready :lol:

Yeah I did see its the same cooler as on beetle's. Had one years back. I did find a post on here that somebody stuck up and said the old cooler did a grand job on the C. So I'll live n learn.

The mount bracket is huge so i'll bell D at G and see what he sez tomorrow. I do have a Fiat uno turbo cooler hanging in the shed. Is the sought that you would just hose clip the feed hoses's to though. Did'nt really want to chop the hoses's.

Got my charger back this week. Well slick. Can't wait to get this car rolling.