Sign in to follow this  
Gaz154

LUMPY START failed a few times

my 93 vr6 seems to be going mental its always been a wee bit hesitant to start but the other morning it wouldn't play ball it was turning over but just wouldn't fire up could smell petrol very strongly checked the oil dipstick was a touch low filled up to max tried it a few times more and still nothing, left it for about 15 mins then tried it again and it started second try. sometimes when i pull up at the lights the revs seem to jump up and down kind of going to low then something kicks in and over compensates :? help

First guess is the Idle valve!

£133.50 + VAT from Eurocar parts :cry:

2nd guess - Is your engine the distributor variety? Could be something to do with that.

Synopsis - Idle valve problems on the VR normally manifest themselves as bad starting or initial over-revving when fired up, after a few cranks, along with rev bouncing on the overrun and coarse engine running at low rpm.

Final guesses! - The engine sensors (engine speed, cam position etc) normally cause problems when the engine is up and running, so it can only be the idle valve - or you have a horrendous air leak, or a major fuelling issue.

Suggestion - If you can hook it up to a diag machine, check for N71 (idle valve) errors.

Kev

the bloody think won't start at all now any idea's on how to get it going itll i get the new idle valve ?? is the idle valve an easy diy replacement

di you get you car going ok mate? what was up with it ? was it the idle valve or the dissy cap, or something totally different!

let us know how you got on with it.

:)

it ended up being the dizzy it's self totally knacked mechanic said it wasn't even putting out a signal anyone heard of this before i managed to pick up a second hand unit of ebay for 25 bucks start up is still a bit crap and it hunts sometimes when i pull up at junction so i guess i'll have to try the idle valve as well when i get some money

like kev said,stick it on a diag machine to check for fault codes before you start splashing £100+ on a idle valve that you may not need

bloody thing wont fire up again just turns over but won't start the isv is the small cylinder type thing with a plug on top at rear right of the engine (technical description there) :oops: cos it's started making a fairly loud buzzing noise help me please i'm going on holiday 2moro and if it's not fixed i'm going to be pissed off for two weeks till i get back