Sign in to follow this  
khurrado

Subframe Question PLEASE LOCK

just checked ETOS and the subframe shares the same part numbers between models,it only differs when its an automatic tranmission

The thing is, and maybe im wrong but when itook the 2.0- 16valve subframe to the mechanics, it matched the one under my car perfectly....including being bent!

sorry i dont quite understand what you mean

The subframes are identical except for the extended arm. The 2.0 16v one has 1 additional space for a bolt - same as my current under car subframe

however the NEW one is the 1.8 16v one, which has smaller arms, and thus not matching the one under my car.

Can it still be fitted though?

the roll bar is from memory about 1/2 cm away from the last bolt on the arm. With the new subframe it will be a couple of inches away.

End of the day, im no expert, will it be a problem to use this, or should i buy another one?

but its the other way round, im effectively putting a smaller subframe on.

But if you are saying it shouldnt be a problem, then ill leave it to my mechanic. I just wanted a second oppinion, b4 i take it to the garage, so that im not wasting my time....again.

Cheers CorradoVR6-n.o.s,

That extra bolt is on some 1.8 16v subframes. It was on my mate's 1990 one when I took out the subframe to change the steering rack.

Are you sure the subframe you got isn't from a golf? My mk2 subframe didn't have that extra bolt, I fitted a subframe from a rallye to it that had the extra bolt hole but just left the bolts out as the captive nut was missing from my car.

It is only a small bolt anyway I'd say there would be no problems with it not being there as the 4 main subframe bolts will be more than up to the job of holding it as they are on the mk2.