Sign in to follow this  
cymru-corrado

thermo switch

got round to changing my thermo switch today as the original broke when i changed the engine, just wondering what does it actually do though? as it wasnt on the car for about 2 weeks and hasnt affected anything.

nb. this isnt the thermostat its a 1 pin thing that screws into a little tab at the front of the rocker cover and then a wire from the airbox side of the engine bay has a little clip that goes on the pin. part number 191 919 521D

It determines how long the cold start injector runs for after the car has started.

* EDIT *

Based on the extra info that appeared when I was writing this...

The thermo switch you changed controls the cooling fan run-on time dependant on the engine bay temperature. Disconnect the wire and touch it on the rocker cover to test the fan run-on.

Hi. Pulling up an old one after a search.

So I pull the wire touch the engine and my fan comes on. I lift the wire it stops.. What does this mean.. My fan works.. Does the run on sensor not?? Just ordered my rad mounted fan switch from VW and checking the others around the engine n stuff.

I did the wire bit my fan came on. So does the sensor work or not?? Just wondering.

Hey

my fan does not go on so i wanted to see if the fan works and took off the themos switch but its a female connector so i cant touch it against anything. I think i might be taking the wrong thing off. The thing i took off was a wire running into the fan. is the wire the thermo switch or is there somthing else

Hi. Pulling up an old one after a search.

So I pull the wire touch the engine and my fan comes on. I lift the wire it stops.. What does this mean.. My fan works.. Does the run on sensor not?? Just ordered my rad mounted fan switch from VW and checking the others around the engine n stuff.

I did the wire bit my fan came on. So does the sensor work or not?? Just wondering.

Your fan is fine but the test doesn't prove the fan run-on switch. Does the fan ever run-on when you turn the ignition off?

CorradoDriver, what model of Corrado do you have?

I have a 92 vr6 SLC. The fan does not come on at all and i think thats why my car over heats and the coolant tank starts to overflow. I was unable to locate the thermostat as well but i was told its somwhere in deep. If u can also help me out with its location and how too open it, i would be greatful. This is my first car and im having this dam problem but once this is fixed i have great plans for it

Thanks for the help

Hi. I have heard the fan run on last summer. The car has been off the Rd for the last 4 or so months being rebuilt. It goes for its MOT tomorrow.

I have since replaced all engine temp switches. All VW originals.

Now I can't seem to get my rad fan to come on when the engine is hot. That is in a further post.

The rad switch has been replaced 3 times. Still no fan action. :?: :roll:

Have asked on the forum but with little responce. Seems a difficult 1 to answer. If I short the fan it works on both speeds. No airlocks and the engine warms up fine..