Sign in to follow this  
Campaign

Toyo R888 Tyres...

Okay folks, bearing in mind the Rocco does about 1k miles at most per year, always in the dry, I was looking at getting some sexy tyres to replace the 11 year old Yoko A510s that are on it now.

I was looking at the Toyo R888 tyre (seen below) which is a "road slick" so to speak. Just wondering if anybody had any experience of these or similar tyres.

If I can get them to last three or four years then I'd be happy. Also they cost in excess of £100 each, and I need all four :)

Sexy as fuff though...

I ran these on my corrado.

only did 1500 miles in it, and the tyres re pretty much shagged!

saying that, I did do about 15 laps of donnignton, and a day at curborough amongst those miles.

absolutely astonishing grip, but not a daily use tyre, they are just too soft and it's a waste to wear them out on the road.

they weren't as bad as I expected in the wet either.

104789768.jpg

Well, there you are you see. I won't be doing track days on them, and 1500 miles would probably be two years driving for the Rocco. And I've now managed to track down some for about £67 each, so it's looking a more realistic proposition.

Sounds like a good buy to me. As you say, although Phatvr6 tyres look sh*gged, you only want them for 1,000 miles/year and not on the track. Seems PhatVR just needed a bit of higher pressure to stop the balling up of the rubber on what I expect to be a hot day at Donny.

I had Toyo's on mine; was bit unsure of this cheapo make, but they soon changed my mind once I got going; they were super grippy in the dry and predictable in the wet.

11yr old tyres?? :?

Tyres 'go off' after about 18 months and start degrading noticably (i.e. start losing grip/light perishing). After 6 years, they are dangerous to use and could delaminate without warning!

dinkus, Whilst I hear what you're saying about delaminating etc. They only really perish a lot if left outside, in sunlight, rainwater etc. As the car is kept in a heated garage most of the time it's never really been a problem.

But this is precisely WHY I am looking to replace them now.

StuartFZR400, Which Toyos did you have? As I have said, the Campaign has Proxies on, which are a very good tyre, but haven't been used in anger, or done many mile either.

DSC00256size.JPG

these are Yoko’s equivalent to the 888’s, they are A048’s, they last a little longer but don’t give as consistent grip over repeated heat cycles like the 888’s do.

And these only lasted one track day from new, the one with the patch was off the front and the other off the rear :( :( :( :( :( :lol:

one track day :shock:

That makes my mind up for good on track days... well at least until I have enough money to factor in a new set of tyres for the way home!

FLATSPOT???

gotta be a serious racer for that kind of tyre....

unless you only do 1k a year and just want them for show :wink: Campaign,

Campaign - they (Proxies) came on the car (fronts) with what I'd call 5mm. Yet 12 months later and about 5k miles they were down to the wear bar. I'd buy them again at the right price. I ran a low pressure, just over 30psi

As said I was happy even in the wet, of which many people say they're no good. They might not be as super grippy as some tyres in the wet but were predictable and 80% good in my oppinion - which is going some considering the lack of tread pattern.

Now thats fast wearing to me as I was used to the Michelins on the Mk2 Golf which lasted about 40k miles (front, then 60 on the rear). Only the Fireblade uses a rear tyre that quickly.