Sign in to follow this  
Colley

Guide to refurbing alloys?

Hi guys

Bought some alloys that are all pretty straight but would like to get them looking a bit more tidy. They are 2 pc alloys. The outer rim needs a real good polish and the centres have a few little dents in them.

I wondered if anyone knew of any online resources showing you how to refurbish alloys your self?

Thanks

in a nutshell, strip tehm down with Nitromors, get a buffing kit from Frosts and buff them up. You'll need to get different buffing wheels (a rough and 2 smoother ones) plus the right wax (grey, green and blue - to be used in that order) and then its a question of time. Strip them down and get polishing!! And there's no short cut i'm afraid. I've done two out of my 4 wheels but it is very satisgying when you see the polished results you've done yourself - just ask A20Lee 8)

Cheers Fla!

Is there anything that i will need to get someelse to do, with specalist tools for example?

In no rush to get them done and what with the long evenings now i have time on my side

Not really, as long as the wheels are straight. I skimmed the lips on mine at work to get rid of the curbing and I need to get a small blob of alloy welded into a small dip there but apart from that, thats it. Get yourself some good quality steel brush attachments and a scurfing wheel (one of those black plastic-looking ones from Wickes) and this will help remove any old paint, corrosion and lacquer. It takes time so make sure your drill is up to it. And dont expect to finish it all in a day. The final polishing takes a while too.

Let me know how you get on. All the best.