Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Engine Cover

Having had a good look around various engine bays at the meet yest (dubpreservation), I've decided to start to tackle my engine bay. Basically tidy it up.

As it's a daily driver I can't take the engine to bits whilst I polish/chrome everything etc.

As it seems much easier and still looks neat, I was wondering whether or not you'd be able to fit an engine cover off a modern engine (like the V6 4Motion) on top of a C VR6 engine?

Yes, they'd be obvious modifications needed, but I'd just want it as a cosmetic cover, doesn't need to be functional.

Anyone done this? I've nicked Jays engine bay as an example.

I reckon you'd be doing well to take one of a 4motion (like Jay's one anyway) and adapt it, most of that is the inlet manifold anyway. Would probably be easier to build one from scratch! There might be certain engines that have covers that are roughly the right shape though.

I think the biggest problem will be having the oil cap in the right place, then you'll need to be able to locate the HT leads underneath. Plus it would have to be quite low profile or you'll need to start hacking parts of the bonnet off. Perhaps the best chance is to get a large cover and cut it up then stick it back together in a suitable shape! :)

Having had a good look around various engine bays at the meet yest (dubpreservation), I've decided to start to tackle my engine bay. Basically tidy it up.

As it's a daily driver I can't take the engine to bits whilst I polish/chrome everything etc.

As it seems much easier and still looks neat, I was wondering whether or not you'd be able to fit an engine cover off a modern engine (like the V6 4Motion) on top of a C VR6 engine?

Yes, they'd be obvious modifications needed, but I'd just want it as a cosmetic cover, doesn't need to be functional.

Anyone done this? I've nicked Jays engine bay as an example.

Isn't that just like telling someone you have a huge todger.....

Or being a woman that uses loads of slap.......

Sorry but just don't see the point, clean up what you have and it will look much better!!

Take the standard cover off, measure it up, buy a sheet of stainless steel or ally, make a replacement.

Polish it to within an inch of its life and feel very smug. :)

Or do what i'm going to do, take the plastic bit off and spray it black to modernise it a little & polish your inlet manifold!