Sign in to follow this  
A20 LEE

How to mount a FM Intercooler?? Pics? Advise?

I've got a new radiator cross member stripped to bare metal ready for chroming. However do those of you with front mounted intercoolers mount them to this part? Ideally i need to weld on any mounting brackets now and pick out an intercooler.

Hopeing the G60 owners can help me on this one. Any advise on intercooler sizes that will fit behind the grille at the bottom of the front bumper would be very helpful. If you have pics please post them up and show off your handy work.

TIA

I have a Audi RS intercooler although it is mounted in the front grill of the RS2 bumper, so not much help there, Try pm ing Andy365 as he has one mounted with the standard bumper

i have a rallye intercooler which doesnt need any work on any metalwork apart from the towing eye which has to be removed. not sure how it would work with the VR6 radiator though as its slightly longer i think.

quite like this IC, overall dimensions are 810x165x65mm.

06_1_b.jpg

Possibly a little too wide? I'm starting to think i should be looking at fitting an aftermarket Rallye item if it uses the factory mounting points and just welding on the brackets from a Rallye cross member. Anyone got experience of fitting a rallye IC to a corrado?

rallye intercooler goes straight in apart from removing the towing eye

yeap got myself a Kit direct from Pro Alloy,,

will be posting up some pics on SWdubs this evening of the install,, very tidy kit,, and has made a nice difference to the engine power,, :-)

http://www.proalloy.co.uk/cgi-bin/sitewise.pl?act=det&pt=52_62_143&p=658&id=proalloy

also included were all the boost hoses and an uprated radiator fan,,

other options are this one offered by radtec,,

http://www.radtec.co.uk/gallery.php?category=1

as i say i will post up about mine tonight so you can see for yourselves,,

i've got a 600mm long 300mmhigh and 76mm thick. with 3" ins and outs at approx 45'. big and should just fit behind. in mint con

woody, you called? :lol:

Either the Rallye or G60 intercooler are THE best fitting for a Corrado front end, as essentially, VW designed 'em for the job! :lol: However, if they're suitable or not depends on what it is you're using them for and with...

If I were in your place Lee (which I'll never be 'cos I can't be arsed with polishing things unless they're to make the car faster! :lol: ) I'd get hold of a dead radiator from a MKII golf (or similar) and cut the lugs off the bottom which do the locating onto the lower rad support panel - don't lose the rubber ring, they're important to stop rattles!. You can then attach them to pretty much any intercooler you want to fit into the space up front meaning that the cooler will just sit into the mounting holes already on the car and with a pair of simple brackets, (which'd be easy to chrome! ;) ) can be mounted to the leading face of the radiator in the same way that the fan shroud fits to the trailing face...

I've attached an edited photo of your new panel... the red circled holes are where the rallye/golf G60 intercooler mounts and the blue one is where the outlet on the intercooler hooks into to keep it stood upright... 8)

A guy called Richard ( Cant remember his surname) fitted a Volvo T5 intercooler to his G60 without too many problems i think, he just had to move the radiator back a little bit i think....

At the end of the day ithink you could probaly make just about anything fit...

is that little intercooler going to flow enough for a blown vr6.? looks a bit ... well ... weedy.

i agree.

for a proper blown engine get the biggest you can fit. for a G60 the rallye or golf that henny and others use is good.

i got 600*450*80mm and hope itll fit without too much cutting.

Size isn't everything though.... you need to make sure that it's not going to screw up the air flow by making the air have to go through too many restrictions or turns to get from the blower to the inlet manifold... having tight turns just to add 2 or 3 cms to the length of the intercooler could well cause you a loss in power due simply to the extra restriction of the turns...

Also make sure that the inlet and outlet sizes of the intercooler aren't smaller than either your inlet (throttlebody or manifold depending on if your throttle is pre or post intercooler) or the outlet from the charger...

yes agreed but i cans see anyone going with a core that will restriuct the hosing. thats just stupid.

outlet sizing depends. smaller ones creat faster flow meaning better low response. however you usually have to match with hoses up to the tb anyway.

size is everything(along with flow). there was nothing wrong with the flow on the standard G60 cooler but you changed it.

the volve T5 intercooler does not fit easily into a corrado as its too high. the end caps are alse mado of plastic so arent really all that good in my opinion

ask Steve Mac about the Merc VITO one... I dunno how he got on with it, but it sounded like a bit of a bargain and well up to the job... ;)

woody, you called? :lol:

Either the Rallye or G60 intercooler are THE best fitting for a Corrado front end, as essentially, VW designed 'em for the job! :lol: However, if they're suitable or not depends on what it is you're using them for and with...

If I were in your place Lee (which I'll never be 'cos I can't be arsed with polishing things unless they're to make the car faster! :lol: ) I'd get hold of a dead radiator from a MKII golf (or similar) and cut the lugs off the bottom which do the locating onto the lower rad support panel - don't lose the rubber ring, they're important to stop rattles!. You can then attach them to pretty much any intercooler you want to fit into the space up front meaning that the cooler will just sit into the mounting holes already on the car and with a pair of simple brackets, (which'd be easy to chrome! ;) ) can be mounted to the leading face of the radiator in the same way that the fan shroud fits to the trailing face...

I've attached an edited photo of your new panel... the red circled holes are where the rallye/golf G60 intercooler mounts and the blue one is where the outlet on the intercooler hooks into to keep it stood upright... 8)

Good stuff, that the type of answer i was looking for thanks. I'll see if can get full rallye cross member. Its there a direct after market replacement intercooler for a rallye which uses the factory mounting points? Heard the VAG intercooler new from VW is very expensive.

it's silly money, forget very expensive!!!

Forge do one aimed at replacing the rallye/Golf G60 one, but I'm unsure as to if it fits like the factory one or not... I know Darren can supply some he's designed, so it may be worth having words with him... ;)