Sign in to follow this  
Jstar

what jobs do you recommend to do?

Hi guys

My car is a 93 2.0L. Its just about to clock 120K. and is time for its usual service. What jobs do you recommend having done on it? Especially suspension / bushes etc. I want to keep the car stock with VW parts so no need for coil overs/ lowering and all that stuff.

Cheers

Jay :)

bushes is a good idea, poss top mounts,

usual coolant, oil and filter , air filter, wheel bearings? pads, disks poss?

gearbox oil, oil cooler if it has been showing high oil temps lately.cam belt and tensioner if age not known.

If you want to keep it standard then all you need to do is a standard service.

If its not broken don't fix it!

Jay- personally I'd take the chance to drop in a "K & N" panel filter in the standard airbox housing & get the garage (assuming they know what they are doing) to tune it for optimum running. If you run your valver on optimax may be worth advancing the ignition a bit too. If you don't fancy doing this just get it checked out that everything is OK & put some good quality oil in with the new filter. May be worth getting the fuel filter & spark plugs replaced too.

With regards to the suspension just get it checked that the bushes, alignment etc is OK.

I used to have a '90 valver so assume the ignition advance etc would apply to the 2 litre.

If you want to keep it standard then all you need to do is a standard service.

If its not broken don't fix it!

Or like my mates Dad who is a retired mechanical genius. His wife has just retired and she was a primary school teacher.

As she shouts Brian we hear in a mutter. I'm just of to break something on the car dear!! :lol:

If its not broke...brek it hahaha

did'nt get it done on mine but I think if you always run on optimax it may be beneficial, don't know if there are any downsides to trying it, best to read up on it first.

An ace VW mechanic (if you can find one) would know.

Whats the octane of regular unleaded?

I've always used Optimax, and toyed with using Super Unleaded at Esso, as Optimax has gone upto 95p here.

how do you advance the ignition timing as i always run my valver on optimax, does it make any meaningful difference?

I was always under the impression that the 2.0 ECU automatically adjusts the timing, hence you can't do the WUR mod on it.

Whats the octane of regular unleaded?

I've always used Optimax, and toyed with using Super Unleaded at Esso, as Optimax has gone upto 95p here.

Regular unleaded is 95 octane

95p for optimax is cheap, it's about 99p round here, regular is 93p