Sign in to follow this  
DruidicCurse

Watercooled Intercooler............

Has anyone seen this before and are any of you running this?

i saw this on a car listed on ebay of all places and just found it odd.

i have never seen watercooled intercooler pipes.

its a Charge cooler as exturbo2003 says, they basically use water instead of air to cool the car, the water is then pumped through a normal radiator to cool. if you methonol istead of water the cooling effect is greater.

Im making a spray bar for my intercooler that sprays liquid directly onto the standard intercool, I would fit a charge cooler but i have Air con and no room for the larger radiator to cool the charge cooler fluid. A polo Rad is normally used and its too thick.

DC: usually the OEM IC is removed but you can run them in series... only problem with that is increased pressure drop.

G60Jet: actually.. a charge cooler isn't in the way of the A/C at all... its actually one of the reasons I want to go with a chargecooler instead of a big front-mount, i have A/C. there's no chance you'll get a big front mount on an A/C car without some ugly piping. do you mean that the rad for the charge cooler and the A/C interfere?

you can try your luck with that water spray.. i got a little ways into the project and quit (well.. the car quit that was the main reason) i started to lose faith in the water spray after engineer types and my step-father, who designs hydraulic and pneumatic systems, kept telling me it wouldn't make any difference. make sure you post your results if you do it! hook up some extra temp sensors :D

G60, There is no room for a large intercooler core or charge cooler rad infront of the A/C heat exchanger. You can add a big RS style numper to give you the room. but i would never get my car passed the ITV with that bumper here.

The only way it "could be done" is removing the OEM intercooler, inserting the charger cooler under the bonnet and installing a motor bike radiator where the OEM intercooler was to cool the charger cooler liquid. but doing this wouldn't give much benifit for the money. so basically im making a spray bar that will spray a mist of water directly onto the OEM cooler. cheap to make and may work ideally

As for the extra temp sensors, im gonna move the OEM air temp sensor (the MFA one in the bumper)and put it infront of the intercooler so i messure the drop with the spray on and off. I know its not reading the charge temp, but if you get a temp drop there you must get a drop of some sort through the cooler. And buy using methonal you will drop the temp more than water along, and guess what is one of the main chemicals in screen wash!! So as i've said before on another thread, headlamp washer pump and later screen bottle SORTED. cheap as chips

you don't think you can squeeze a decent sized chargecooler rad in front of the A/C? could have two small ones.. one if front of rad, on in stock IC location.. more work and headache but possible.

all i know is i've heard of 25-30hp increases on a worked G60 when a FMIC is put on... you're not going to get that spraying water/methanol on the stock IC. so for the most efficiency its either a FMIC or a chargecooler and I can't fit a FMIC.. i think i can make a chargecooler work with A/C.... :agrue: :lol: :lol:

it could be made to work i'll agree, but the large front cooler is a definate no no for me. I've got a 675mm long rad, then the air con rad too. Its the biggest corrado rad, its bigger than the Vr6's. there is not room for a large intercooler there or rad for a charge cooler. Could squeeze an oil cooler in there though.

The bike rad in the OEM I/C position is possible. I guess it would have to be a tiny bike rad to make it work.

One interesting point though, my G60 is running 10deg C cooler on average since i got a new rad. Old one must of been well messed up inside.

I've got a charge cooler installed on my Corrado and can only say it's well worth having over the standard little intercooler, especially if you have more BHP. Jabbasport used to supply them for the G60 but don't anymore. You could get one custom made but by the time buy everything else you need for the conversion it starts to become pricey.

The charge cooler also provides my corrado with a more direct route for the compressed air to the engine. Got to be good :D

I agree with you Sy I'm running a 20vt corrado and my pace charge cooler works a treat... my charge temp very rarely go above 36c...

Its works really well as the run from the turbo.. or charger in your case is shorter than a intercooler could be .. reducing lag..

Andy..