Sign in to follow this  
gradeAfailure

5x100 > 5x112 without adaptors

Is it possible?

Having just found out that my new wheels are actually 5x112 (f**kin eBayers), I'm contemplating a conversion to 5x112 simply to fit these wheels. Adaptors is not an option as it would push the offset to ET15 and I don't want to run adaptors anyway.

The parts would obviously have to come from a B5 Passat or similar Audi, but is it actually feasible? Does anyone know if the Passat hubs will fit the Corrado driveshaft splines, and fit into the wheel bearing housings? I know that the B5 doesn't use stub axles, but a bearing/hub assembly that bolts to the rear beam, and which the brake disc bolts to, so the mounting holes on that would have to line up too.

I'm fully expecting the answer to be "no, not without untold amounts of grief", given my luck recently; but if you don't ask, you never know...

with the rears you could just get a set of brake disks redrilled, so thats quite easy

the front will be the problem

I think the drive shaft splines will be fine, the offset of the caliper and disk will be a bit more difficult due to offsets.

I am not sure if the hub center will press into the corrado hub, but if it will that will be fine, then just work out some brakes.

Everything is feasable but the amount of effort is the deciding factor

adapters would be the only cost effective way.... also you will be limited to certain wheels if u spen the money for the conversion... unless u wanna keep swapping and changing,,,

OR

stick them back on ebay and keep the 301's which dont look too bad anyways

im sure you could get some 5x112 rear disks to fit it would be the front that would be the problem if you can physically fit the bolt pattern onto the hub face then sure they can be redrilled there is a guy that does it round here retro dubs i think they are called. out of interest what offset are the oz rims?

Its all bad karma man, But Im sure you can find a way to make em fit, After all you only got em caus no other Rado has them on, and according to you "301's are common" :roll: :D I still maintain you could swap em for some tatty Speedies if you want.

if the are et 35 then get 12mm adapters and youl have et 23 nicely in the arches then. i had some 12mm steel adapters made by a company a lot of folks have used on edition very well made and only cost £120!

Sweet - how heavy were they though, compared to the likes of the H&R et al? If a strong enough grade of ally was used and the threads were helicoiled (obviously), then would you be able to make 12mm ally ones?

On a different tangent, has anyone had any success at having holes in wheels welded up and re-drilled? I'd have to drill through the filled area though, as the rear of the areas between the current bolt holes is hollowed out...

they are a few grams at most heavier than my hr adapters the weight is at the centre of the wheel so not as bad as lead tyres!

On a different tangent, has anyone had any success at having holes in wheels welded up and re-drilled? I'd have to drill through the filled area though, as the rear of the areas between the current bolt holes is hollowed out...

Just what I was going to suggest, I've been looking into doing the same with my 5x114 pcd RS Splits. All you need is to find a company that does aluminium welding or brazing, then a good machine shop to accurately drill and counterbore the holes to suit VW radius seating wheelbolts. There is a wheel refurbisher in scotland that does both welding & pcd alterations aswell but i've not been in touch yet, they have a website i'll try and find the address. If it's done properly it will be as strong & safe as a standard wheel.

I can't see 12mm adaptors being very safe at all, as a rule you should have a minimum thread engagement 1.5 times the diameter of the thread, i.e. 18mm.

I can't see 12mm adaptors being very safe at all, as a rule you should have a minimum thread engagement 1.5 times the diameter of the thread, i.e. 18mm.

Thinking the same myself, the issues are you'd want a minimum of 5mm of aluminium under the bolt to mount to the hub leaving a head size of 5-7mm max. Not much, also no real room for a counter sunk bolt to ensure each hole self centres.

I'd say weld and redrill the alloys, not on a pillar drill!!! Machining centre only.

cant redrill his alloys the design wont allow it,, 12mm steels are fine i mean how thick is a brake disk?

Errrrr... the Front disks are NOT threaded, the hub/bearing housing? behind it is threaded a good 25mm deep or more. Rear discs are also threaded a good 25mm deep or more. Standard VAG Wheelbolts have a thread length of 25mm, and at least 18mm of that will be engaged in the threaded hole. 12mm isn't enough whatever material they are made out of, plus the fact the threads will wear & distort as there will be to much force on too little thread. I've seen hub threads stripped just because the wheelbolts were 5mm too short It's not worth risking it.

His wheels can be re-drilled, just not inbetween the existing holes.

i know the front wheels arent threaded but as you say the rears are, the brand new vag disks i put on my corrado have 11mm of thread i measured it,, h&r do 15mm ally adapters now those i would be wary of but they are tuv approved. not worth arguing about mate if my wheels fall off you win!! and please no-one say why take the risk i have done extensive research and have satisfied myself mine are safe. whilst researching i also came across adapters for motorsport that were 8mm thick that used hardened steel bolts!

H&R do 15mm adaptors...? Hmmm... Had a search but not found them, only 20, 25 and 30mm.

We list 15mm adapters in the pcd's you require Dave. part # 3055571-665

i know the front wheels arent threaded but as you say the rears are, the brand new vag disks i put on my corrado have 11mm of thread i measured it,, h&r do 15mm ally adapters now those i would be wary of but they are tuv approved. not worth arguing about mate if my wheels fall off you win!! and please no-one say why take the risk i have done extensive research and have satisfied myself mine are safe. whilst researching i also came across adapters for motorsport that were 8mm thick that used hardened steel bolts!

I'm surprised the rear disks have that little thread length, I never noticed that last time I changed a set, but the difference there is that the thread engagement/load will be in the middle of the bolt (end of the bolt will protrude inside the disk), with shallow adaptors the load will be at the end of the bolt/thread lead-in, it's weakest point.

8mm thick sounds crazy, were they not 'studded' lilke porsche hubs maybe, instead of being tapped so shallow?