Sign in to follow this  
trebor

VR starting problem 1996 corrado

Having a problem starting no matter how hot or cold same problem.. Insert key into ignition turn off alarm with fob. Turn key to position 1 both warning lights Oil/coolant flash. Then coolant light goes out. Key to position 2 engine fires and turns. Revs increase and decrease (lovely idle) Release key, engine dies.. Engine will start if throttle is used to keep revs high..

Have checked Relays seating postions

cleaned oil vapour from around butterfly

Read ignition switch stevemac/henry how to+ wD40

Am I on the money here.. its driving me around the bend

Slightly off topic, but when I had to replace my ignition switch and got the old one off, I took it apart just out of curiosity. It stank of peanuts!! :lol:

Sorry, just had to share that... :wink:

sounds like the switch to me...

Igniton switch 6no905865 £17.68

2X Bolt n90420101 £1.70 total plus vat £24.77

Ok changed switch took about 2 hours I can definetly recommend the use of a cushion and the smallest philips and flat headed screw driver.

Start fine every time 100 percent.

However I had these two supplied bolts over. God know where they go any idea..

Thanks Rob

Can't see the picture but if they are the shear bolts then you did very well to change the ignition switch without removing the old ones first!! I found the easyest way to remove them was to hacksaw a slot in them to use a screwdriver. They shear at a fairly low torque.

Can't see the picture but if they are the shear bolts then you did very well to change the ignition switch without removing the old ones first!! I found the easyest way to remove them was to hacksaw a slot in them to use a screwdriver. They shear at a fairly low torque.

Pics od old Ignition switch and two Blots

Yup, thats them! They hold the lock to the steering stem. You tighten them up 'till the hex snaps off leaving a thief proof lock. The ignition switch electric part retaining screw on my VR was impossible to get to in situ. Had to get those bolts undone first. Well done :D