Sign in to follow this  
Seb

downpipe options

Hi All,

I just bought myself a bargain Corrado 1.8 16v, which has a few issues. The main problem now is the downpipe i blowing badly - it is spliting badly atthe back of the downpipe silencer.

As faras replacement options - i don't fancy paying £100 odd for a stock part (i think that what i was quoted) - and i dont really need that extra silencer. I remember mk2 golf 8v downpipes fit, and have no silencer, but have a smaller exit bore, so that's not much good.

Are there any replacement downpipes that lose the silencer, and retain the proper bore? Or should i just go for a 4 branch? The engine is stock at the moment, but it won't remain that way - i feel stanadalone management and throttle bodies or a custom inlet manfold brewing...

Is the tsr 4 branch the only real option? Mnay secondhand ones about? I've seen the tuningleader/raceland ones about - but heard the wont fit any RHD cars...

Thanks for your help :)

depends what you're after, there's pros and cons of each.

A four branch can be noisy, crack, loose low end power and the heat can damage parts of the car. But it can provide better top end flow for a highly tuned car.

A standard manifold can be flowed/polished to improve things a bit and I can vouch for this with a standard downpipe working well on a modified 16v (180bhp).

As a daily driver I'd probably stick to the standard stuff and I've not seen back to back proof that a four branch gives any more power anyway, the old 8v engines definately improved with a four branch but then that's a very different head and manifold.

I don't think VW did too bad a job from the factory TBH.

Hi All,

I just bought myself a bargain Corrado 1.8 16v, which has a few issues. The main problem now is the downpipe i blowing badly - it is spliting badly atthe back of the downpipe silencer.

As faras replacement options - i don't fancy paying £100 odd for a stock part (i think that what i was quoted) - and i dont really need that extra silencer. I remember mk2 golf 8v downpipes fit, and have no silencer, but have a smaller exit bore, so that's not much good.

Are there any replacement downpipes that lose the silencer, and retain the proper bore? Or should i just go for a 4 branch? The engine is stock at the moment, but it won't remain that way - i feel stanadalone management and throttle bodies or a custom inlet manfold brewing...

Is the tsr 4 branch the only real option? Mnay secondhand ones about? I've seen the tuningleader/raceland ones about - but heard the wont fit any RHD cars...

Thanks for your help :)

The 16V can get noisy if you lose the front box too.

I used to have a MK1 16V with a SuperSprint 4 branch and 2 box system and that made a mega beefy sound, probably too loud for some.....but it was really bassy.

The Supersprint 4 branch is the best by miles, but it's mega money.

The Raceland ones is highly regarded though, as is the TSR one. Avoid Ashley ones though.

If using a 4 branch, make sure the front and rear mounts are upgraded and lag the manifold with heat wrap.

The standard front pipes don't flow too badly actually and it might be your best bet if you're on a budget.

The Supersprint if you're feeling flush, will give you noticable midrange gains.

I have a solid front mount, others are on order.

So does the raceland one fit a rhd 16v then?

Are there any uprated downpipes available as another option?

I had a mk2 16v with two boxes and a non silenced downpipe, was fine noise wise.

As faras replacement options - i don't fancy paying £100 odd for a stock part (i think that what i was quoted)

Consider yourself lucky. The downpipe on my MK4 broke and, because it includes a CAT welded into the downpipe, a replacement from VAG was knocking on £500...