Sign in to follow this  
Dec

Dec's 1.8 16v Turbo project!

Woohoo!.....Megasquirt II kit completely built and running perfectly on the simulator! :D

And bought myslef the new Hybrid turbo, wastegate, FMIC, and all the fitting for the turbo this morning!

Thats almost all the main components now bought! :turn-l:

IMAG0008-1.jpg

Wow....all those electronic bits scare me.

Don't suppose you can buy all the kit built up and just wore it up?? :lol:

Good skills Dec, glad to see you're making good progress!

You can buy them ready built, but that's half the fun! It isn't that difficult to put together to be fair!

Nice one.... seems a lot of Rados are getting turbos thrown at them quite recently......t'is the only way to go 8)

Good luck with it all and well done on the Squirt!

Cheers!...Saw you were getting some good work done on yours too! So figured I had better get my act together and try to have this can on the road (in some form at least) by the summer! :lol:

Cheers!...Saw you were getting some good work done on yours too! So figured I had better get my act together and try to have this can on the road (in some form at least) by the summer! :lol:

I think your turbo will be well ahead of mine, just getting the squirt on mine for now, will move torwards the turbo as and when funds allow.

Yeah, lack of funds is my major setback at the moment!

Final parts needed to finish off the mechanical end of things are:

1) 100mm driveshaft flanges + cable shift mech for the 02J

2) Lightweight flywheel

3) Intercooler piping

4) Oil cooler

5) Water injection kit

6) BMC cda

7) New complete front poly bush kit, and rear beam bushings

8 ) Exhaust downpipe

Still quite an expensive list, even after the £1000's already spent on the car! :roll:

And then to finish things off, a full leather retrim and a quick trip to the bodyshop to tidy ip a few little stonechips etc!

You can buy them ready built, but that's half the fun! It isn't that difficult to put together to be fair!

LOL :lol: last time I soldered something I made a right pigs ear.

Think my hands are just too big and clumsy :roll: Dohh!

Dec:

is your turbo going to be Oil & watercooled? if so where are you planning to take the feed? and return?

Cheers and keep up the good work!!!

At the moment the plan is to run the waterlines fom the inlet/exit pipes to the heater matrix.

I have all the fittings to fit the oil return straight into the sump. Just need to sort out where to get the oil feed from. Was thinking getting it from the oil lines for the oil cooler, I have plenty of time to sort it out though!

Cheers,

was told the water cooling is only effective during track use, will the water from the matrix pipes not be hot? Wonder how the turbo'd VR6s on the forum do it.

When I evuntually do mine was thinkin of taking feed via t piece from the oil cooler retun, don't know if that is poss though.

Are you going for a 13 or bigger row oil cooler?

take the oil feed from the oil pressure fitting on the back of the head. its close and low pressure so as not to damage the seals in the turbo.

water cooling is more effective for the road. it helps to warm/cool the turbo after a run. oil can dry in the bearings if a run down period isn't done with oil only. oil and water - a safer daily turbo. hence the reason most road cars have oil and water.

take the oil feed from the oil pressure fitting on the back of the head. its close and low pressure so as not to damage the seals in the turbo.

Cheers! :wink:

Yeah thats what I heard! Water is very good for dissipating the heat from the oil in the turbo on cooldown.

come to think of it maybe its oil temp for the mfa but either way back of head.

Does this mean you lose the oil temp for the mfa? or can you use some type of adpater?

I've seen a few (on a Toyota I think) that have used a t-piece to take the oil feed from a pressure sender. The sender is just screwed into the side leg of the t-piece, so I assume you could keep the temp reading that way!

just took a look at the head on mine, should be ok, with a bit of fiddling.

I am planning on using a KKK24 turbo (S2 setup), managed to get a few bits still al ong ways off though :(

was looking at cooling, is this possible; remove the VW oil cooler and stick in a mocal oil cooler. Then use the water pipes that fed the VW oil cooler, as water feed and return pipes for the turbo. Was looking at vagcat / haynes.

you can use an adapter or use the oil pressure on the filter housing. you will need a restricor if you use one of those though.

heard some good reports on 034. chose megasquirt due to cost as much as anything.

if you are serious about the kkk then id look into digi 1 from a G60 with a chip. itll do those powewr goals quite easily and if you are not into mapping/engine management it can help the project.

Well changing the subject completely!.....but it is my thread after all :lol: :lol: :-P

This monster showed up this morning!....Just hope I can manage to make it fit now!

IMAG0013.jpg

Holy schitt dude, that's one heafty intercooler!!

How you planning on wiring in the Megasquirt? Are you going to re-wire the engine bay completely? I see in one of your piccies that you have a relay board to go in, I was hoping to use the existing relays in the car, or have I missed something important?

I know!......it's a bit bulkier than I originally thought! I'll be taking it down to the garage to see how/where/if I can get it in there tomorrow morning.

AS for wiring the MS, I figured it would be easier/safer to get the Relay board. It wasn't too expensive when ordered with the main board (to save on shipping costs). It has all the inputs and output nicely laid out and labeled so there is no messing about.

I'll be keeping most of the orig wiring in place until I have the MS up and running correctly. Then I'll remove all the old wiring thats not needed anymore. I'd like to keep as many of the MFA functions as possible though so some of the wwiring for them will be staying.

LOL - sorry for the thread jack!

:shock: Thats a beast of a cooler, what kind of boost pressure are you going to be running?

Would be intresting to see how it fits!

I've been thinking about 16v radiator positioning over the last day or two, and I suppose it is relavant to your mahooooooooosive i/c.

I reckon you could fit a pair a 9" slimline fans to the 16v radiator just about. which would a. free up more space behind the radiator, and b. improve cooling. If you couldn't fit a pair of 9"s maybe wack a 12" in? Or have one 9" behind on one side and another in front on the other side? Maybe I smoked too much crack last night...

Anyway I wonder if you could move your rad back into the engine bay an inch or two to allow more space to fit the intercooler?

Yeah, I can pretty easily make up some custom brackets to push the radiator slightly back into the engine bay, if needed.

I'll take the camera down to the garage when I'm down there tomorrow morning and have a bit of an experiment with making things fit. The slam pannel, bumper and the rad are currently off the car, so should allow me to easily move bits around.