Sign in to follow this  
Dec

Dec's 1.8 16v Turbo project!

intercooler is very similar to mine. itll be non too easy to fit. im thinking no slam panel support, cutaway bumpers and no towing eye.

i run a pacet pro 12in fan on my G60 rad. it fits great and provides `1668cfm. no need for 2 just one near the radiator outlet

this will enable the rad to be moved back a few inches no worries. fan is around 4-5 inch shallower than the standard fan and motor.

figured I'd stick up this photo as the old engine is finally out of the car!

Next step is removing the rear subframe, strip and repaint it. Got a full set of wishbone/anti roll bar poly bushes to go in along with new wishbones, balljoints trackrods, mounts etc. Broke numerous tools while trying to get a few of the bolts off the subframe tho...so that put an end to my Sunday work, almost before I had even started! :roll:

Engine bay will also get a good cleanup. Then its onto the re-assemly stage!

Yeah, too late to go back now!

Thinking of taking an hour or so off work in the evenings to get down to the garage to get a bit more work done on it!

Free time over the weekends is kinda limited, so has resulted in progress being painfully slow!

Are you going the whole hog to try and hide all the wiring loom in the chassis memebers and behind the dash or not? Can see that being a pig to do!

Are you going the whole hog to try and hide all the wiring loom in the chassis memebers and behind the dash or not? Can see that being a pig to do!

Nah, I don't think I'll be going that far! Most of the wiring has to come out for the Megasquirt, and a custom loom made up for that. Only orig wiring will be for the headlights, indicators horn etc. I'll be checking over that to make sure the wires are sill in decent nick ,and re-wrapping it to clean it up. But that's about it!

Nah, I don't think I'll be going that far! Most of the wiring has to come out for the Megasquirt, and a custom loom made up for that. Only orig wiring will be for the headlights, indicators horn etc. I'll be checking over that to make sure the wires are sill in decent nick ,and re-wrapping it to clean it up. But that's about it!

At which point, hiding what minimal wiring there will be left would be easier then surely??

:lol:...yeah probably!

At the moment, the thought of that bit of wiring being in view hasn't really worried me enough to plan anything drastic to hide it! I'll take a look into what can be done tho :wink: :lol:

:lol:...yeah probably!

At the moment, the thought of that bit of wiring being in view hasn't really worried me enough to plan anything drastic to hide it! I'll take a look into what can be done tho :wink: :lol:

Good lad!! Roo on here has tidied his wiring quite substantially. Apparently he's managed to loose most of it behind the dashboard....

Well as it has been pretty much raining non-stop here for the last week I decided to get some work on the car that I could do in the relative comfort of the garden shed! :lol:

Fully degreased and stripped the rear subframe. Primed, and recoated. Fitted new wishbones + balljoints. Full Poly bush kit for the wishbones and anti-roll bar. New rear engine mount and gearbox mount. also stripped the front subframe while I was at it.

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0008-2.jpg

Its got two coats of primer and 4 coats of hammerite. Should hopefully keep it rust free for a few years anyway!

Just need to get my hands on a set of 100mm 1.8T Beetle driveshaft flanges now and the new engine can be put into place!

Was going to powder coat some stuff but that looks damn good!!!

Saves a few quid as well!

How come you need 100mm beetle flanges?? are you using a different g/box?

How come you need 100mm beetle flanges?? are you using a different g/box?

Yeah, I've got my hands on a 02j Golf 1.8T gearbox with the right ratios that I'm currently in the process of mirror polishing. The driveshaft flanges on it are 110mm though, and the standard 100mm 02a Corrado ones have a different fitting. Hence why I need to get my hands on some 100mm 1.8T beetle flanges......very difficult to find without having to resort to buying an entire beetle gearbox though :roll:

Figure this is well overdue an update!!

New engine is in the car, and I'm just finalising a new wiring loom for the megasquirt II. I've stripped all the subframes etc, and fitted new mounts.

Mirror polished the new 02j gearbox, and fitted it with some new driveshaft flanges (even the dealer was shocked at how much they cost), lightweight billet steel flywheel and a Sachs VR6 clutch. Finished mirror polishing the manifolds and fitted in the new fuel rail + injectors + fpr.

P1000016.jpg

P1000022.jpg

P1000021.jpg

Just need something to fill this hole now......

P1000018.jpg

Fair play dude, making good progress there! You've not got your turbo yet then? Any idea on which one you're going for?

I ordered in a turbo from the States, unfort they sent me the wrong one! It was way too big and had a T4 mounting flange, that didn't match with my manifold. So to save the hassle and cost involved in returning it to them; I just flogged it on ebay!

Intercoolers in after a bit of "alteration" to the back of the slam panel with an angle grinder :D

top surface and front edge of the slam panels also had a respray, and I've modified a late spec grille to fit, only test fitting it at the moment though.

P1000101-1.jpg

P1000103-1.jpg

And clearance behind the IC....need to buy a new rad before bolting it all in!

P1000106-1.jpg

Keep up the great work dude!!!!

Looking forward to seeing the turbo bolted on!

How the MS installation going?

I'm still really laying out all the wiring for the MS. Everything is pretty much in the correct place now. So it all just has to be tidied up really.

Just have to take a switched 12v supply from the coil to the relay board and splice the fuel pump circuit and that's about it! (apart from troubleshooting and tuning obviously :lol: )

Don't mean to Piss on your Bonfire, now you've bought them like, but Golf 110TDi Driveshaft flanges also work! Thats whats used on mine :)

Nice Cooler too, is it a custom jobbbie?

Ah well, they are bought now....and I was having trouble sourcing any sort of d/s flanges, without having to buy a whole gearbox!

Intercooler came from a company called uk_performance, it's not a custom made one...But after a day of head scratching with a measuring tape I figured out what size would neatly fit in there, and they supplied a decent one, that was the right size, and at the right price!