Sign in to follow this  
willg95vr6

Water level (header tank) increases when the car is hot

i am worried the head gasket may be on its way out, i have just replaced the heater matrix as it ruptured, then a couple of days later the one of the matrix hose feeds split, i have replaced that an now i have noticed the after driving 100 miles and checking the water level as soon as i stopped the level was above the max.

I have since driven back and checked the water level now its cold and it is just below the max. is this a case of its just the presure or is it something more sinister. (the presure may be too high)

Cheers

Will

i am worried the head gasket may be on its way out, i have just replaced the heater matrix as it ruptured, then a couple of days later the one of the matrix hose feeds split, i have replaced that an now i have noticed the after driving 100 miles and checking the water level as soon as i stopped the level was above the max.

I have since driven back and checked the water level now its cold and it is just below the max. is this a case of its just the presure or is it something more sinister. (the presure may be too high)

Cheers

Will

seems fine to me, it's an expansion tank after all, if the pressure was too high or the system over-full the valve in the tank will release water.

It's fine - don't worry about it.

You want to worry if the water keeps disappearing tho...