Sign in to follow this  
cromwell

new head

i put my car ('91 g60) in yesterday for a new head gasket and apparently they have found the head is cracked which obviously means it needs a new head :cry: . i basically just need to know how much that is going to set me back and the best place to get one? should i get a performance head? etc etc just give me the low down 8)

thanks

chris

Loads of people should have spare heads to suit your car. Any G60 or late mk2 golf GTI 8v head will work.

Would be a good opportunity to get a ported and polished head if you wanted to.

A friend of mine is selling a fully rebuilt, ported and polished G60 head with a Schrick 268 cam. Details here:

http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1748

If you can afford one, get a ported one. My G60 had a ported head when I bought it, I have a reciept from Jabbasport for around £500 for the head and fitting.

Obviously because the head was fitted before I bought the car it's hard to give a direct comparison - But - what I do know is that the car is a beast in comparison to my last 2 g60's (which were both fettled but with standard heads ) - top end is unbelievable.

I'd definatlely go for one on my next G60.

I've heard that good ole G-werks sell very good ported heads.

I have a rado g60 head in my garage! has done approx 80000 miles , was working very well before i swapped for a big valve jobbie! if ur interested give me a PM! :-)

Hi, I have the head that Geo mentioned above. Its rebuilt with new guides, followers and seals less that 5000 miles ago. It currently has a schrick 268 cam fitted but I may now need to keep that. I will know in the next day or so but the head is still for sale anyway. It has been midly ported and polished and I have receipts for all the work carried out to it. Let me know if you are interested by pm or whatever. Its currently in Dublin Ireland but postage isnt a problem.

the garage that are doing the work have told me that its a slightly different head to the 8v gti. are they chatting bollocks?

thanks people!

No, I think the valves are sodium filled in a G60 head to cope with the extra heat, someone may confirm this though whereas 8v ones arent.

Possibly larger coolant channels but am not sure on that.

The G60 exhaust valves are sodium filled whereas the 8vs aren't. They can be easily changed over. Apart from that I think they are the same. (Assuming your engine is a PG corrado engine not a 1H rallye engine)

i think there is a difference on the gti heads. cos it needs the brakets for the alternator and charger. i also have a head for sale. ported and polished by keith from rpm. and 35mm exhaust valves. £450

so whats the difference in a PG engine and a 1H engine ? (sorry to hijack, quick answer will do) because ive had a replacement rallye engine in my corrado ??

The bottom end has a slightly smaller bore (80.6mm as opposed to 81mm) and larger head studs. The head is then also different to take the larger head studs, but a PG head can be modified to fit a rallye block. Henny did it a good while back, and I have also done it recently.

@ g60bv, the charger bracket doesn't attach to the head it attaches to the block and the G60 alternator bracket bolts onto the head in the same place as on the normal 8v head.

@ g60bv, the charger bracket doesn't attach to the head it attaches to the block and the G60 alternator bracket bolts onto the head in the same place as on the normal 8v head.

it's been a while since i looked at a gti head.

thanks for clearing that up.

No problem, I've been looking at both quite a lot recently :D :lol: