Sign in to follow this  
onlyG60ing

(16" rims). Too heavy??

I've been thinking of changing my 15" rims on my corrado g60 for 16s, but I've heard some advises from freinds not to do so, because they are heavier than the 15" and will effect on the performance,I currently have 195-55 on the front wheels and 205-50 on the back ,I want to put 16" with 205-45 tyres. what do u recommend?

I did some back-of-an-envelope maths a while back that said you needed to get wheels that were around (old diameter) / (new diameter) lighter in order to NOT feel a drop in acceleration from the car.

I can't comment on handling and ride, cos I've never fiddled about with it, but most people find the ride is rougher, and the handling is not so "well balanced" either. YMMV.

If performance is your aim, use the smallest wheels you can get your brake disks/calipers into, is the best advice. Stock VR6/G60 brakes that means 15".

All that said, 16" isn't much of a difference from 15", so you might not notice. See if you can find someone with similar and try it out! :)

My 2p. ;)

bigger wheels do slightly effect initial acceleration(due to size not weight), however a lot of people have 17's on their rados and you don't hear them complaining. i shelled out for some 17inch bbs rc's, which weigh a lot less than the 15's i took off. your best bet if possible is to buy some quality wheels not some replica s****. hope i've helped

****edit**** swearing-vr6storm :wink:

I've got 16" wheels running 205/45/16 Yokohama A539s and I've no complaints at all... They look great, they stick to the road like $#!£ to a blanket and there's no more harshness than when I was running standard wheels on my old 16V 'rado a few years ago... 8)

The standard alloys on a C vary in weight depending on the version of the wheel that was fitted to your car... You really aren't going to notice much difference in acceleration or braking just changing to a 16" wheel if you get a reasonable make alloy... 8)

What wheel are you thinking of getting?

It's one of those 'suck it and see' things. You can get 16" wheels that are lighter than the factory 15s though. BBS and speedline are very light wheels and VW use them for that reason. A big heavy wheel like the Azev A will certainly make it's prescence felt over bumps and I speak from experience!

It's all about reducing unsprung weight. F1 cars have tiny magnesium wheels, carbon brakes and inboard dampers/springs to keep unsprung weight to an absolute minimum. Alfa and Citroen cottoned onto that too with inboard brakes. This allows the springs and dampers to do a better job of controlling the huge mass above them than controlling the heavy mass below them.

Kev

I'm running 205/45R16's all round on mine. It's been lowered using BOGE shocks and spring too. No probs with scrubbing or anything.

Have a look in the gallery.