Sign in to follow this  
Rustynuts

Digifant 2 on 2.0l 16v - I did it!!!! (2 year old thread)

Right well I wanted to do a bit of trumpet blowing somewhere, so why not the good old Corrado forum since this is where I started the idea 2 years ago.

I now have a Mk2 running a 2.0l 16v on digi 2. It seems to run OK though needs setting up and running in.

Originally I got it working but found the engine to be knocking to hell. Whoever had rebuilt the engine must have read the 'How to Rebuild Engines by Stevie Wonder' book. The crank had been ground (but seemingly only one of the journals :cuckoo: ), the main caps had been put back in the wrong order( 54321 and not 12345 - how the hell do you get that wrong?) and basically two of the rods replaced. So put another crank in, changed all the bearings and whacked it all together. After a bit of rubbicks engine shenanigans I got it turning by hand and thought well lets give it a try.

Originally got it running Oct last year but decided that I would leave the car in the garage until now. Got it out last sat, sorted a couple of issues and am now booking in for MOT. A mate following me says it pops out flames from the exhaust so perhaps the timing is out as it does not run rich.

Anyway here some pics:

n509138691_94324_7828.jpg

n509138691_121799_2089.jpg

n509138691_121800_2331.jpg

n509138691_157264_8599.jpg

n509138691_157265_8910.jpg

Next plan will be to run it in getting it to run as well as possible and then off to my mate at Performance Torque for a remap. Hoping to see 180 bhp out the old girl

Well played! I'd say 180bhp is well within reach.

Congratulations...and make sure you post lots about it on Club GTI, eh?

This is a great idea, don't know how I've missed this thread in the past?

I guess the 2.0 block and crank has a crank sensor? or does it all still run from the dizzy.... EDIT ok I read the first bit of the thread and found the link, I understand now!

Are you still in Worcs Rusty, would like to catch up and have a look at what you've done to this, been looking at similar on my 1.8 valver to try and get a few more MPG out of her. Thought about megasquirt as I have a box sitting in the garage that I used on my VRT for a while....

I will go onto Club Gti when it is running really well, and more to the point running better bhp for the mods vs K-Jet. I suppose you are always going to get the 'why did VW not do it questions'? My theory is down to the fact it prob cost a lot to change over the 8v to digi, in the process they prob thought that the Mk2 was coming to an end and therefore no point changing the 16v from K-Jet. Seeing the Mk3 was moved onto Digi 3 that would make sense.

My intention is to throw on an airmass meter from a 3.5l 6 cyl BMW with cone filter at some point and then I will get it rolling road remapped.

Dave, yeah no worries, once I got it all running how I want I will show you how I did it. I don't know if you heard of the Rubbadubz? Anyway I could bring it along to one of their meets, I don't activily get involved much anymore but will be wanting to show them my car as they know it well from the past.

What I would say is that another way round this would be to run ABF spec loom, injectors and manifold, it is more complicated that Digi 2 and therefore needs a lambda probe, but still should be easy enough to convert KR 16v and 9a 16v's

Well done, for not giving up :clap: bet your'll be well chuffed when running how you want it 8)

Think you better change your sig :)

Yeh I know the Rubbadubz, been to a couple of meets. Any idea when the next one is? I'll come along for a natter and a beer!

I also need to meet up with Steve G (Rubbas forum admin who you might know) at some point as he's after a short inlet manifold.

Haha yes, the sig needs sorting which I will do in a min.

I always knew I would continue with it, almost always I kept thinking of the 1.8T route when things were going wrong, but I wanted the challange of the engine rebuild and also the thought that I am doing something a little different to the norm.

Dave, yeah I know Steve AKA Veedubnutz, I am sure he will be at the next meet on the 3rd Weds of the month at Berkley Arms. I may be there but have started going to the meet at the Toys R Us carpark at Oldbury which is also pretty good. I will be along at some point I am sure, I may do 2 in one night :lol: