Sign in to follow this  
coolrado

More new shineyness from g-werks

After going to ultimate dubs and seeing furkan's corrado, my mates have been constantly going on at me to lower mine, and i had got a bit sick of the 4x4 ride height (came in handy at all types this weekend as it turned into a bit of a mudbath :lol: )

so i finally took the plunge and got myself some weitec hicon GT's :cool: and next month i should be ordering some BBM boost hoses and a badgeless grill and eyebrow :cool: :cool:

great service from g-werks as usual :thumbleft: :thumbleft: thanks lads

I do need to get some poly bushes though and i wouldnt mind getting them tomorrow ready for fitting, i am pretty close to demon tweeks but does anyone know anywhere else in the area that sells poly bushes?

also are the g60 rear bushes the same as the mk2 golf ones?

No i don't think they will fit, don;'t think they fit properly. I'vr got the box for the Rado ones under my bed if you want the part number.

We have rear beam bush's made by powerflex in stock also if its any easier for you..

:lol: inspirational :lol:

well it is, it makes a big impact without being over the top.

it certainly stood out at ultimate imo.

well done on the feature in pvw as well :thumbleft:

oh yeah Darren i completely forgot you stocked them otherwise i would have ordered some with the coilies :roll: i will probably end up getting them from demon tweeks as its basically down the road from me and i should be able to get them tomorrow.

how hard is it to fit these poly rear bushes? i ve got a set in my garage that hav been there for months awaiting fitment! :-) ?You dont fancy fitting them for me darren ? ;-)

Got a set of the powerflex rear beam bushes this morning, and expected to spend all afternoon slicing out the old bushes and hacksawing the old metal out, but once i got the whole beam off (in the pouring rain) the rubber parts of the bushes simply pushed out :shock: and where split and badly perished , that explains the recent odd handling then.

i k now mine are gonna look like that... coolrado, fancy doing mine sometime?

should be able to sometime yeah, you would obviously need to get a pair of bushes and also some brake fluid as the brake lines need to be disconnected to get the beam off.

fitting the poly ones was very simple but the original vw ones look like a complete nightmare to fit, its not surprising vw have a special tool to fit them :wink:

dont u loose the passive handling with poly bushes and isnt the ride really hard too

dont u loose the passive handling with poly bushes and isnt the ride really hard too

yeah you do apearently loose the passive rear steer effect (if it really exists) but as i have just got the coilovers (your fault :lol: ) the car would be too low for the passive rear steer to take effect anyway.

the original bushes are not solid rubber, they have more rubber on one side than the other, so that as the beam pivots up and down it lets it flex a little, if the cars lowered it will never pivot far enough to reach the point where they allow that flex.

i have only taken it for a little test drive and i cant really say it made the ride any more harsh, but i have only done the rear bushes and its still on the oem suspension until next weekend, i didnt really get chance to take it for a proper thrash around any corners either so i cant really comment on that yet but i will make sure i put them through their paces tomorrow :twisted:

i did have a look at a pair of oem rear bushes that where removed from a mk2 golf and they had the same part number as the corrado ones, but people dont seem to mention the passive rear steer on the golf, and my friends mk2's handling certainly improved when the poly bushes where fitted.

polyurathane has different properties than normal rubber, it has inherent damping qualities and appearantly is better at absorbing fine vibrations so although the poly bushes seem a lot harder it doesnt mean the ride will be a lot harder, but i suppose the only way to find out for sure is try it.

coolrado, good work m8. 8)

could you explain any noises you had with the old bushes? was it a bit 'bangy' or 'knocky' on the rear?

just that i have a noise like this on the rear left only :roll: and i have decent coilies/new rubber top mounts etc...

cheers,neil.

coolrado, good work m8. 8)

could you explain any noises you had with the old bushes? was it a bit 'bangy' or 'knocky' on the rear?

just that i have a noise like this on the rear left only :roll: and i have decent coilies/new rubber top mounts etc...

cheers,neil.

even though the bushes had completely seperated and split they didnt make any noises, it just made the car very unpredictable during high speed cornering as the back end broke loose a couple of times, it also made it a bit floaty at high speed on the motorway and very squirmy under braking.

have you checked the exhaust hangers? i had a banging on the rear left and it turned out to be the exhaust knocking on the rear beam as the hanger rubbers where worn out, you need to check the clearence ideally on a set of ramps so the weight is still on the wheels, it was a sort of deep clonk that you could feel through the floor.

just weird coz ive seen a few ppl sell the poly for orignal VAG items too!!!

yeah i think it will be a case of if i dont like the way it drives i will change back to oem but if it improves things in the same way as my mates golf i will definately stick with them.

cheers m8. :)

i did check the system on some ramps a good while ago,thought it may be that with being left side only,but couldn't get it to bang...

will check it again anyway i think.

let us know how yours drives after a good boot full 8)

neil.

cheers m8. :)

i did check the system on some ramps a good while ago,thought it may be that with being left side only,but couldn't get it to bang...

will check it again anyway i think.

let us know how yours drives after a good boot full 8)

neil.

not much else that could cause it,

have you also checked the bushes in the bottom of the rear shock absorbers?

have you got any fluid leakage from the shock absorbers?

are your spare wheel and tool kit secured?

is the parcel shelf secure?

unless the bushes have completely collapsed allowing metal on metal contact its unlikely the knocking will be the rear bushes.

shocks/rubbers should be ok,they are fk konigs that haven't done too many miles.

no tool kit or spare wheel (which i needed the other week :lol: )

and the parcel shelf is good...

having been through the receipts/history,i cant find any reference to bush replacement,wondering if they are completely none existent on one side? :shock:

thanks for the help m8,ill double check the system/shocks etc :D

neil.

i gave the car a good thrashing round some nice twisty local roads and the poly bushes are a huge improvement over the tired old oem ones, i couldnt really say they would be better than brand new oem bushes as i have never driven a car with them on.

the car feels so much more stable and sure footed on corners that where previously quite scary and the ride is a lot smoother, even passengers in the back have commented on how smooth the ride is especially driving over speed bumps where before it felt like something was loose.

but the biggest improvement i have noticed is during heavy breaking where it used to feel like the rear end went very light and floaty but now feels very sqare and level.

i cant really see why the rear axle bushes would make the ride any harder as they are only really acting as a pivot point, i could understand that changing the top mounts or bottom shock absorber bushes to poly could make it a little more harsh but i am going to ghange all of the bushes on the car to poly any way to avoid any weak points.

im really not sure on this "passive rear steering" thing any more, as you dont hear mk2 owners going on about it even though they use the same bushes, is there any actual evidence or information that expains exactly how it works?