Sign in to follow this  
Blinky16v

9A Injector removal

Hi All,

I've used the search and found some good stuff on injectors and replacing injectors, but mainly for the KR 16v, not the 9A 16v which I have....

From what I can gather you simply pull the current injectors out of the Inlet manifold, unscrew the injectors from the fuel pipe and reverse the procedure with the new injectors... job done

Does this sound right? Are there any clips which hold the injectors in at all? Anyone out there able to offer a mechanical novice some advise :)

Cheers

IIRC there is one clip per injector. I did mine a couple of years ago. It was an easy job, I'm sure you'll work it out when you do it. I replaced the O rings too.

Cheers Phil :)

Yup got the injector "O" Rings as well so I'll have a stab at that tonight... weather depending...

kerrinmay, I'll drop you a PM with my experiences once I've changed them.

Cheers Phil :)

Yup got the injector "O" Rings as well so I'll have a stab at that tonight... weather depending...

kerrinmay, I'll drop you a PM with my experiences once I've changed them.

Thanks Blinky16v that would be great. Are you actually replacing yours with new injectors? And if so, are they standard ones? Would be interested on another opinion on what difference you notice once they are fitted. Are you experiencing any specific problems at the moment that have led you to wanting to change your injectors?

kerrinmay, Just to add my opinion, I was not experiencing a any probelms with my injectors, but felt at 140k miles they could do with a clean. After researching this I had some people saying you could clean them and it would be worth doing and others saying its not. In the end I decided new injectors was a better route. Once fitted the car was a little smoother and a little more powerful. No huge change, but a noticable improvement which I felt was worthwhile.

Hi All,

I've used the search and found some good stuff on injectors and replacing injectors, but mainly for the KR 16v, not the 9A 16v which I have....

From what I can gather you simply pull the current injectors out of the Inlet manifold, unscrew the injectors from the fuel pipe and reverse the procedure with the new injectors... job done

Does this sound right? Are there any clips which hold the injectors in at all? Anyone out there able to offer a mechanical novice some advise :)

Cheers

they tend to pull out easier if the engine is warm as the main o-rings get hard with age, some cars don't seem to have the retaining clips on, probably just the earlier KR ones though.

kerrinmay, Just to add my opinion, I was not experiencing a any probelms with my injectors, but felt at 140k miles they could do with a clean. After researching this I had some people saying you could clean them and it would be worth doing and others saying its not. In the end I decided new injectors was a better route. Once fitted the car was a little smoother and a little more powerful. No huge change, but a noticable improvement which I felt was worthwhile.

Cheers Phil. I do actually have problems with starting of my car, mainly when it's cold (I think), and also sometimes it feels a bit hesitant when driving slowish around town. My C's only done about 96K so really not high mileage for a '92 model, but the injectors are something I keep thinking about whether to replace or not. Think I worked out it will cost me about £140 from GSF.

Cheers davidwort, The ol' expanding metal when hot eh :) I plan to do it tonight when I get back from work so engine should be warm, cheers for the headsup though dude, I didn't even think of that!

kerrinmay, I was going to go for some performance injectors but my cars chip has been mapped by "Stealth" and it might need a new map if I put performace injectors in. So I have opted to go for standard ones from GSF.

The reason I'm changing them is that my car is running a little too lean and seems to suffer the symptons of a vaccum leak (dodgey idle, rough running on full throttle etc...). I've had everything checked and I suspect (reading numerous comments from the guys & gals on here) that my injectors are the issue. Plus as Phil, says my car has also done over 100K and its about time they got changed. Hope this helps!

Thanks Blinky16v, it does help. Just need to work out how to sell this to my other half, that I NEED to spend about £140 on new injectors!

Have you not seen that other thread about 16v injectors? There's an eBay seller knocking out Bosch injectors for £12.50 each. I'm not sure if they're KR or 9A compatible though as the union thread size is different between the two.

I took the plunge with new KR injectors from GSF a few months ago and the car has run so much better since. I used to have a lot of warm-starting problems and it was just fairly gutless in general. Still not rampant but a lot better...and it starts!

Yeah, I was thinking about those but not sure if they were KR or 9A, I think they are KR judging by Bighands (?) comments.... I didn't think to ask the seller...

kerrinmay, lol I have the same with my other half, just do it, take the heat later and console yourself with the fact your car goes better ;)

Mine came from Euro Car Parts and I'm sure they were about £120 all in, so may be worth seeing if they are cheeper than GSF.

OK, just checked and Euro are about 62p cheaper per injector, and as I have GSF local to myself will probably still go with them!

Thanks though Phil, was worth checking!

Mine came from Euro Car Parts and I'm sure they were about £120 all in, so may be worth seeing if they are cheeper than GSF.

OK, just checked and Euro are about 62p cheaper per injector, and as I have GSF local to myself will probably still go with them!

Thanks though Phil, was worth checking!

just out of interest, why do you need to change them? Mine have 145K on them and are 16 years old but I've no fuelling problems and the car is pretty economical, haven't checked the spray pattern lately but there can't be much wrong with them, passed the MOT on emissions perfectly yesterday too CO and HC still spot on from the tune up at Stealth last year. Seems a lot of money to spend.

davidwort, good question, my C also passed its last MOT no probs and has low CO emissions and is very economic (40 - 44 MPG on the motorway at 80mph), plus it goes well.

BUT, it just doesn't run as smooth as it did when I first got it (even before the mods to the engine). Reading through this forum, changing the injectors is a good thing to do when you suffer the symptons I've got (probs starting, running a little rough sometimes etc...) so, I decided that'd be the next purchase.

Aye it's alot of money, but thats what owning a C is all about :)

Mine passed the MOT too but at 120k miles had some starting issues from any state other than stone cold that needed to be sorted out. The injectors did just that.

Well, just changed them and it's very straight forward, took me about 30 min to change the lot.

They just pull out, there were no clips, but... two injectors went in fine and the rubber "o" rings seated into the inlet manifold, but the last two would not go in at all and man I put some force on them.

Any ideas how to push them in?

The car runs ok, but I'm guessing the last two injectors need to me pushed in harder.. most odd :)

A liberal dose of WD40 in the general area should help. It helped for me when my injector seals weren't playing ball :)

bit of sillycon on the seals helps a bit (the plumbers stuff is best is good for the seals!) but they can be a bit tight its a kinda controlled brute force thang!

Tell you what Phil, they are so tight I snapped a rat tail file trying to lever the bugger into the Inlet manifold last night, they are as tight as a ducks ar5e.

Just worried about applying too much pressure to the metal fuel lines as they do seem to bend... It had a good 16 stone of weight pushing on it last night and it just did not budge... I will however try some lubrication :)

Really weird as the other 2 went in fine...

When I do try to start my C in the mornings, and if I'm not able to catch it with extra revs before it dies, then it takes ages with the starter motor going before it will finally start. So not sure if that helps to pinpoint the problem. Almost as if it's maybe flooded?

I did all the usual things of distributor cap, rotor arm etc, although not done the HT leads or injectors - yet!

Normally upon re-starting at a petrol station for example, there is no problem at all, no need for extra revs to start it, it just starts nicely.

Any suggestions as to whether new injectors might help or whether there is something else I should try?

When I do try to start my C in the mornings, and if I'm not able to catch it with extra revs before it dies, then it takes ages with the starter motor going before it will finally start. So not sure if that helps to pinpoint the problem. Almost as if it's maybe flooded?

I did all the usual things of distributor cap, rotor arm etc, although not done the HT leads or injectors - yet!

Normally upon re-starting at a petrol station for example, there is no problem at all, no need for extra revs to start it, it just starts nicely.

Any suggestions as to whether new injectors might help or whether there is something else I should try?

sounds like the cold start injector, they're a bit crude and as you start OK when hot that seems to make sense, also even if they are operating fine sometimes all the extra fuel gets sucked into one cylinder on startup and it can make for rough running for a few seconds.

David.