Sign in to follow this  
G60SC_Stoney

G60 Cooling Problem

ok so i took my corrado down to darren to have a few things done. Well Chuffed i must say!!! while down there he replaced a coolant hose (sure he will be on in a minute to confirm and tell us more info) picked it back up on saturday and after 30 odd miles steam started pouring out of the overflow on the expansion bottle. ive read posts on here to check water pump (which is working) and that it may be head gasket failure (unlikely as it was done when engine was rebuilt 11000 miles ago!)

also darren fixed the temp sensor (so now the temp gauge works) and thermostat (fan never worked before!)

So....

filled her back up with coolant again waited for it to get warm, then all the water boils out again.

refilled it removing any possible airlocks.

then started her up again letting her get hot. top hoses are all really hot going to radiator BUT bottom hose (bottom right corner of radiator) is not hot at all (i.e room temp) is this right or is it possibly blocked somewhere ? thus over heating system ?

surely if the system was working properly the bottom hose would be hot ?

advice please ?

either the stat is blocked or air has been introduced onto the system. If the bottom hose is cold its very likely to me what i have mentioned

sorry mate what was that again? people have been telling me a lot of things recently and have started getting my knickers in a twist and nappy in a knot :crazyeyes:

I think Darren changed the thermoswitch for the fan, the thermostat is in a plastic housing on the water pump - thats the bit that sould like it needs changing

I think Darren changed the thermoswitch for the fan, the thermostat is in a plastic housing on the water pump - thats the bit that sould like it needs changing

I didnt change any parts in this area - All i did was fix the broken wire to the gauge and the fan switch.. It does sound like the thremostat in the waterpump could be sticking though.

cheers guys, sorry darren i think i suffer from some sort of short term memory loss!! :cuckoo: we should have it sorted sometime this week. ill keep you posted!

cheers guys, sorry darren i think i suffer from some sort of short term memory loss!! :cuckoo: we should have it sorted sometime this week. ill keep you posted!

An easy test is to remove the thermostat then run the car up to temp again and see if your issues are resolved dan.

Identical to my recent probs. I just took out my stat. No probs since. Will sought it out at teh end of summer :lol:

Yep My rebuilt gwerks charger n shocker kit is sweeeet also.

sorted the problem wednesday evening !! out in the pouring rain!! as Darren says it was the thermostat...and what an arse of a job to to (in the pouring rain when its getting dark outside and with just a trolley jack!) cheers darren. ill sort you out with some beer/marlboro money when im down next!! 234miles on her now!! and she goes :D

sorted the problem wednesday evening !! out in the pouring rain!! as Darren says it was the thermostat...and what an arse of a job to to (in the pouring rain when its getting dark outside and with just a trolley jack!) cheers darren. ill sort you out with some beer/marlboro money when im down next!! 234miles on her now!! and she goes :D

Glad ya got it soughted bud.

I crossed my 250 mile charger run in point today and let her go....

:shock: Holy Bat computer. Its a missile hahahahahahahahahahahahhaha

No way I could not belive how she just tore up the A50 at Stoke Oh my God. the boost needle just held at the stop and the speed just kept coming on. Hahahahaha. Top rebuild Darren.

On the bad side my rad fan will just not kick in. I got a new loom for that area yesterday and still it won't spin. 3 temp sensors and still no joy!! Gutted. Got stuck in traffic on a blocked M6 on the way home. Temp way to high. Just had to turn off at any junction and find my way on moving A Rds? Gutted really. Think I'm gonna go to an Auto Electrician get it soughted once n for all.

ah well darren sorted my rad fan when i went down there!! never worked before!! although i think a bearing might have gone in it, sounds a bit clicky!!! but yeah i think my one goes too, ill let you know!!

Well the end of Summer has come and gone...

Been running with no Thermostat all Summer. Today I fitted an 80° stat and watched the gauge go very high :roll:

So it all begins again.... :(

My rad fan does not come on by its self!! I wired it to a switch on the dash and both speeds work fine.. I have never managed to get it to come on as it should..3 new thermo switches!!!

So I drilled two 1mm holes in the stat to enable the removal of any airlocks down there.

The fitting went well. A first time winner no leaks or anything.

Took the car out for a run and the temp hit 100° fast and stopped just over that.

I got the car home felt the lower hose and its cold??????????

All Summer the car has run like a dream with no stat. Low temps and excellent running...

Where oh where will the airlock be?????

:help: :help:

Been running with no Thermostat all Summer. Today I fitted an 80° stat and watched the gauge go very high :roll:

Have you tested that the thermostat works? Might be worth wacking it in a pan of water on the stove and checking that it opens fully.

Do you get hot air from your heater now? you could have an airlock up there.

New stat today. Checked it opened before fitting. Refilled from top hose and also hose into rad its self.

Car has run great with no stat all summer. I have dropped the water about 5 times now this last 6 months trying to get it to run with a stat. The Rad is clear and the heater works great :mad:

???????????

hmmmmmm.... how hot exactly did the temp gauge get?

If the engine really is up to temp, and the bottom hose isn't warm, then the water isn't getting around the rad, which indicates that the stat is closed... but it works if it opened before....

Wonder if the water pump could be rooted? When I do mine I fill it from the top hose at the rad end, and fill the rad, then chuck some in the header tank.

I've just thought... check that the little hose from the top of the radiatior to the header tank isn't blocked... the little fitting on the radiator was once before. try sticking a bit of wire in it to check it's ok, you could also leave it off at the radiator and fill the header tank up until the water comes out the little fitting to make sure the radiator has no air in it.

Well tried again today.

Still no joy :brickwall:

I will have to pull the stat. I don't get it. No stat the lower hose is hot and car runs fine. Fit a stat and no flow round the rad lower hose is stone cold???

Just took the car out temp got to 110 and teh lower hose still cold.

Had the heater on full and tons of hot air so the matrix is not airlocked???

Oh and the pump was brand new VAG about 6 months back.

HELP

need to get a pressure tester on it to check operation of the system but i reckon pump. was the stat a prob before the new pump or after it. might be badly fitted /have a seal prob.

Have you checked the "O" ring inside the expansion bottle cap?

Expansion cap in new and blue about 2 months back. So I doubt it would be duff. Everything works fine with no stat. Lower hose is toasty and car cools fine. I even puled the rad yesterday it flows fine.???

need to get a pressure tester on it to check operation of the system but i reckon pump. was the stat a prob before the new pump or after it. might be badly fitted /have a seal prob.

Pump is new VAG original 4 months back. I did have a moment yesterday when I thought 'you dick' I bet its upside down... :lol: It only fits 1 way. So no idea why the damn thing won't open. I removed it dropped it into a pan of water and....It opened??

Go figure that

Cheers though keep em coming.

Oh and to top my day my top boost hose split :p Just wrapped it in tape. Car makes an ace farting noise as I hit the gas :oops: