Sign in to follow this  
rayb74

Leccy windows - Fuse (no.14) blowing - update

Hi all,

All of a sudden my windows stopped working. Number 12 fuse (I think) it is a 15amp one had blew.

After replacing, the windows worked a couple of times then went again.

The windows were in the down position this time and would not go up (were dead). Fuse had gone again.

Oddly they closed when I activated my alarm (Full closure).

Anyone had similar or know what the problem is ?

Is your mirror switch in good working order? Had a similar prob on one of my old valvers, and eventually found that it was a faulty mirror switch causing it.

Keep us posted :)

Just noticed you're from Cheltenham- just up the road! :D What model have you got? Any pics? I go to Cheltenham occasionally, so I'll keep an eye out for you.

Hi Cazza !

My car has photos in the members gallery but I dont know on what page.

It is 2.0l 16v. It does stand out a lot so you will notice easy.

I had this :)

windows refused to work, but would close with the auto closure. They also worked with the doors open/shut (I forget).

it was the fuse, its also the fuse for the reverse light and heated seats (although they aren't mentioned in the manual).

if it keeps fusing then try greasing the runners for the windows (could be the motor working to hard) or could be a short in the list above (heated seats, reserve light etc)

I have been searching everywhere for a Fuse number description list for a 2.0 16v (9a)

Anyone help?

It's in the instruction manual...

Fuse 12 is main beam right only

The electric window fuse is in a seperate holder and should be a 20A according to my info...

['H3R4POR]I had this :)

windows refused to work, but would close with the auto closure. They also worked with the doors open/shut (I forget).

it was the fuse, its also the fuse for the reverse light and heated seats (although they aren't mentioned in the manual).

if it keeps fusing then try greasing the runners for the windows (could be the motor working to hard) or could be a short in the list above (heated seats, reserve light etc)

I had this problem with mine as well. If this is what's happening to yours, rayb74, then it's probably fuse 14. It took me ages to work out, but mine was blowing whenever I opened the drivers door with the ignition on.

Someone on here pointed out to me that it was probably a wire chafing in the gaitor into the drivers door... and that's what it was! I had to get the door cards off to find the break though, and then it was a tiny little bit of bare wire showing (a brown wire, i think), up by the door hinge.

Hope this helps! :D

Mike

Yes Mikey P ,

It is fuse no 14 (which oddly enough is for the reversing lights !)

Taking the door cards off now .......

Yes Mikey P ,

It is fuse no 14 (which oddly enough is for the reversing lights !)

told ya ;)

makes no sense, and it doesn't appear in the manual

Therapor ,

When have auto electrics ever made sense ! :-P

Anyway cant find anything wrong replaced the fuse and has not blown yet.

If it happens again I will grease the runners.

Ok a strange one this....

After taking door card off and checking the wiring all looks fine.

I have now discovered that with fuse 14 blown the windows now only work WITH THE DOOR OPEN. If I leave the door open and depress the door closed sensor switch then the windows dont work again........

I am puzzled anyone got any ideas ?

Does anyone roughly know the path of the reversing light wiring does it run underneath the car to the selector or through the cabin then down to the selector?

Help!

P.S. this problem started out of the blue I have not done anything to the car apart from drive it.

this is odd, I was just talking about this in here, and mine has blown (again) yesterday :-/

The door open thing is exactly what I was saying:

You'll find your reversing light and heated seats (if you have them) won't work either.

don't have any fuses knocking around, so it'll be a trip to Halfords on saturday

Good to know its just not my car playing up :wink:

Anyway if i replace the fuse it lasts about a day then blows again !

Let us know how you get on ...

well its shorting somewhere then mate, as the fuse is whats stopping the windows etc from working.

have a look for wires caught in the door, or bare wires, that can earth on the body.

there was also a case where a wire had got caught in the gear stick and was earthing there

my windows stopped workin the other week, i took the cover off the fuse box couldn't see a fuse for the windows?although there was a seperate inline fuse above the box?anyway i never touched anythin,tried the windows an they worked?

Therapor, thx for replys.

I took the door card off no sign of trouble. Though the windows will work with the door open. I suspect the probs is a wire somewhere between the reversing lights and the fuse box.

Your comment about the wire caught up at the gearstick.......mmm I just got an inkling your probably pointing me in the right direction.

Anyway when I get the time I will investigate and let you know my findings.

Worth trying a good mirror switch to make sure it's not that. I had exactly the same problem with fuse 14 and bizarre window operation. All cured by a new mirror switch, after many hours looking for faulty wiring (me and a garage as well!).

If i had one to switch it with I would Cazza.

Just noticed your sig. I am a Liverpool fan so I guess the F.A. Cup fnal didn`t help much :-P

L, I, V, E, R, P, Double O, L, LIVERPOOL FC!!!!

:)

Still haven't looked at mine as I haven't got a spare fuse (i've been drinking heavily all weekend), will look at lunch time and post here.

Edit: Just had a looking on a smoke break and fuse 14 had blown, replaced it with one I had knocking around in the glove box and all is well. still odd that it blew when I connected that power line, but i'll see if it blows again any time soon and post if it does

I have been pulling my hair out with this one. Still not found a cure yet. Been reading others on here with similar problems but none have worked for me.

I have tried disconnecting both mirror control switches changed the door switches for new ones still the same. The window control unit looks fine and the connections are clean.

Windows will only work with the door open (drivers side).If I press the door switch in with the door open at any angle the windows do not work.

Passenger side open or closed makes no difference.

If I put fuse 14 back in everything works fine then blows after a few uses leading to the above condition.

Windows close up fine with the alarm closure.

All wiring in the doors and hinge part is sound.

Anyone have any Ideas what it may be. A friend of mine is a VW mechanic and reckons it is the alarm module (Autowatch 160rl ) i think.

But I cant see why this would have anything to do with fuse 14 (reverse lights) blowing. Mind you this problem only started after I had my alarm fitted.

my windows stopped working the other day, took every single fuse out and cleaned them and replaced them (none had blown) and windows now work fine!!??!!