Sign in to follow this  
TIMMYVR

CRUNCHIN GEARS!!!!

Hello everyone, having a few problems, with the gear box on my 1992 g60. Some times its difficult to engage first and reverse without the gaers crunching, and ocasionally i cant disengage the car from reverse, and to do it have to turn the engine off completley. i thought the clutch/brake fluid might be low but its not, any help would be much appreciated. thanks to you all in advance as always timmy.

may be a worn slave cylinder? its bolted to the gearbox.

a quick check is to make sure the circlip is still on the gear lever under the gaitor pictured here although it sounds as though its something else on yours.

in fact mines hard to get out of reverse sometimes,must investigate...

neil.

Thanks for all your Advice everyone ill check these things out today and let you all know how i got on later. cheers timmy

Well ive had look cant see any leak form the slave cylinder, put it on the ramps and no wear in the mount looks to be new. the mats ok and the circlips in place. :cry: the only other thing i can think is that the master cylinder is on its way out. Any thoughts?

The reverse gear has no syncro. So it will always give a bit unless car is at standstill. Could be a worn clutch that is not disengaging. Mine did this a VR6 kit soughted it out.

I had my box stripped and rebuilt VR 1st n 2nd gears and new bearings on the mainshafts. Reverse was fine. Just no syncro so not as smooth as cars with em.