Sign in to follow this  
Taggart

Fitting rear ARB

How much of a pig of a job is this to do? Just got my Neuspeed rear ARB, so was hoping to fit it this weekend.

They look quite easy except for removing the bottom strut bolts which is a pain if you have coilies.

Let us know how you find the bar, I'm almost convinced on getting one myself.

The only difficult bit with the Neuspeed is fitting the clamps round the rear axle. The Eibach is a lot easier in that respect as they're just stainless bands, but the Neuspeed ones are full on steel brackets. Seriously good quality bit of kit.

I'd try the rose joints in the middle of the three adjustment holes and then move it out to the outer hole if you want a sharper turn-in.

Make sure you cake the rose joints in copper grease or they'll seize....but you can replace them if need be.

On the strut bolts, it's easier with an assistant to move the wheel up and down to aid bolt removal, but it's doable on your own.

Bolts are OK, I've got my beautiful assistant ;) They were out a couple of weeks ago, so should be fine!

It was my beautiful assistant that tried to convince me it would be tough, the instructions looked easy enough.

Like Kev said, the hardest part is getting the brackets around the axle...its hell to do on your back. If you have access to a lift...it will make life a whole lot easier. Also...don't forget to grease the bushings once a year. Use a good lithium type, water resistant grease.

They kick azz...you'll notice a difference from the first turn you make!

Is it easier to fit the rose joints or the brackets first?

I've got so much to do this weekend, not sure when I'll find the time.

Fit this

Fit new Momo wheel

Go to work :(

Watch footy

Tidy Flat (the missus is away, so it's a right tip)

Change the wishbone bushes on my missus' polo

Go out drinking (well, the TT races are on)

Watch some Motorbikes

i've been meaning to get over to he island for the TT for years... my grandma lives over there. I remember being young and seeing all the bikes on the promenade in Douglas, the atmosphere was ace!

enjoy a pint for me ;)

enjoy a pint for me ;)

Did last night ;)

Still fairly quiet, but when Tom and I were enjoying a pint last night down at the Beer Tent, you could see them pouring in off the boats. Should be a good weekend!

They kick azz...you'll notice a difference from the first turn you make!

Ooo, comments like that make me want one even more!

I'm getting my rear bushes done at the end of the month so planned to change the front to poly's as well before forking out for the 4-wheel alignment. I could always postpone this for a while and get a ARB instead!

What you thinks??

ahhh nutz, the Mrs is going to kill me! Oh well, spose it's best to get all the tricks on and enjoy them while the engines going well!

Ooo, just been promoted after 2 yrs! CF Regular, sounds cool eh!

Hopefully this will be fitted saturday morning then. Going up to my dad's at 9AM :o

Any idea on how long it'll take, think I'll be flying solo doing it.

Has anyone got any pictures of this beacuse im thinking of gettnig one but not sure exactly what it is and how it attaches?

And how much are they?

Neil

Quite expensive. IIRC couple a hundred odd.

Fit's on the bottom of your rear struts, and to rear axle beam

Fitting guide is on the Neuspeed website PDF File

im thinking of gettnig one but not sure exactly what it is

Classic! :lol:

The Eibach set (front & rear) is about £225 or the Neuspeed rear is £145There is also a GB for the H&R's at the mo which is a good deal.. The Oracle that is known as Kev reckons you only need the rear "takes it to the next level" he says" Scalett also swears by them.

Yeah imo just the rear one is fine. There's quite a beefy one on the VR as standard anyway, at 20mm. The Eibach front ARB is 22mm. Neuspeed's front ARB is a frankly ludicrous 25mm! Understeer city!

I've tried the Neuspeed rear + front - didn't like it. Heavy handling and understeery and the front bar rubs on the floor it's so darn big, and HEAVY!

Took the front off and left rear on = Perfect ;-)

Tried the Eibachs as a pair = Excellent. A tad understeery but much less so than the Neuspeed combo due to the sensible sized front bar.

Currently just running the Eibach rear and a rear turret brace.

The steering can feel over responsive sometimes with just a rear and the front helps balance that out...but with a bit of u/s. It's swings and roundabouts! If you're an oversteer man, go for it with the rear bar and maybe consider the 28mm Neuspeed bar :-) If you're a play it safe man (sorry, 'person', being PC and all that), fit the Eibachs as a pair.

Next on my list is MED caster plates which I'm doing tonight.

Aye, Laura's (soon to be Jim's) valver has Koni adjustable suspension and Eibach arb's, and she whups my ass round corners - it's like a blinkin' go-kart!

Where do you lot buy these? Is the h&r rear as good as the Eibachs? Or is that the boy to get?

xbones, these are the MED plates mate:-

MEDTOPMOUNTs.jpg

They replace the OE top mounts and are just a solid mount with a spherical bearing (360 degree rose joint in English :-) ). I suspect there'll be a little more vibration with solid mounts but you've still got the tyres and suspension to take the brunt of the shock, so it shouldn't be too bad.

You have tonnes of negative and positive camber adjustment, aswell as Caster. I think these add 1.5 degrees caster, taking the VR from 3.25 degrees to around 5.

I'm told the steering will be lighter with these as the spherical bearings are much less resistant than the OE bearings.

Adding caster improves straight line stability, adds self centering and improves front end grip.