Sign in to follow this  
Tommo DJ

!HELP! Supercharger go bang

Since i got my corrado i have been having various problems with it. First it wouldnt idle right, then the headgasket went, then the cooing system went tipsey, and now my charger has gone boom. I pulled out of the drive and the car went bang. I opened the bonnet to find a large hole in the top of my chrager :( . Could anyone give me some advice on how to bypass the charger so i can use the corrado as its my only means of transport atm and i cant curently afford to get a new charger :cry: . I have searched on the forum for "bypass" and "supercharger" but have had no luck.

Many thanks :!:

Tom

i have no paperwork for the charger. the car has done 130,000 miles yet there is no evidence in the old recipst and things of a rebuild :bad-words: it is a standard gladder as far as i know. the cheapest new charger i can find is £700. owch ,lol

Another charger is going to cost you unfortuantly, hence why on G60's the single most thing you look after is the charger.

A secondhand one is going to set you back £500+ then budget £300 for a rebuild to be safe. Or you might pick one up £750+ for one recently rebuilt.

However personally I would go for the first option and take it to G-werks for a rebuild. You can rest easy then safe in the knowedge it was done properly

Yeah.. as Sam said, proper treatment of the G-Charger is the only way to guarantee no more grenading!

In the short term, you need to get the engine checked out if possible.. fragments of charger may have found their way into the intercooler and (in worse case scenario) into the engine..

After you've had the new charger put on some tips include:

* Get new oil feed / return lines fitted!

* Use only decent quality oil!

* Use only genuine Volkswagen Corrado G60 specific oil filters - avoid Halfords own, etc!

* ALWAYS let the car get up to temperature before exceeding 3,000RPM

* Always give time to let the car cool down after a thrash session!

Sounds anal but really will help prolong the life of the charger.. it was designed to last but it can be fragile!

Just incase anyone wanted to see i have supplied pics of the hole in my charger. :onfire:

i68784560_84076_3.jpg

i66180806_37669_3.jpg

Not fun. Cant say i have seen anything like that before either. :scratch:

Managed to check engine. Luckily no bit of charger got in. :thumbleft: It seems it all got stuck in the IC. Just need to go and find a 50" belt to fit tomorrow. The car seems to be running better without the charger too. :scratch: Thanks for ur help lads :notworthy:

Ooo. Ohter question. What do i need to do with the breather pipe for the vdo and for the rocker cover? I have just removed the boost return pipe and would like to leave it out. Should i just use a mini K&N?

Yep mini K&N on the ISV and just a length of heater hose on the cam cover breather to atmosphere (rest the pipe on top of the gearbox)