Sign in to follow this  
flusted

Loads of g60 questions from newbie g60 owner

Ive decided now to fit a g60 lump complete into my valver and have some newbie questions.

1. How much is a complete g60 engine worth with everything needed for conversion,except the charger as its mullured?

2. Can i use my 16v gearbox,clutch and lightened flywheel?

3. What do i do about fuel lines and can i use the 16v pump?

4. What am i expected to pay for a charger secondhand?

5. How do i go about bypassing charger so engine still runs without it?

Thanks in advance for any help

Rosco converted his 16v to a G60, it might be worth PMing him fella.

Best of luck with it anyway mate

Hi Flusted,

I also have just bought a G60 and its my first, so I have loads of questions too.

Im following a different route as im keeping the base car as its got all the toys and selling my valver to fund the project.

Im sure you can use your 16v box but you have to use the 16v flywheel with it.

As for bypassing the charger try this http://www.corrado-club.com/faq/detail_faq.CFM?FAQID=21

My first job is to put mine in for an MOT and then to make sure all is well with the engine and have the charger rebuilt.

Stay in touch mate.

1. How much is a complete g60 engine worth with everything needed for conversion,except the charger as its mullured?

I would say with everything except the charger you would be looking at around £500 - £700 depending on mileage etc.

I assume your box is cable change?? if so it should be compatible although dont take my word for it, not sure about clutch & flywheel tho.

I think your gunna need a digifant fuel pump aswell, think these run at a lower pressure that the 16v or visa versa... :)

As for chargers, dont mess around for a budget one get a decent secondhand / rebuilt unit from Darren @ G-werks.

AFAIK all you need to do is make up some pipework to connect upto intercooler pipe from the airbox and then cap off the oil feeds for the charger, pretty sure there is a guide somewhere matey??

Hope this may help you slightly... 8)

yep thats helped loads! prob got the engine for £400 complete! Mine is cable change and i have got a new 16v clutch and lightened flywheel.

I was just curious regarding gear ratios between the 2 boxes

Flusted mate,i thought sooner or later you'd be asking a few questions...

Right then,flywheels are all the same,i've got about 6 rustin away..,seeing as your going to do all that work get hold of a VR6 clutch PP,more clamping force compared to G60's.

Fuel pump(s) will be fine,i've managed to retro fit a Bosch CIS pump into my corrado's O/E oumo housing,no problems and easily enough flow even with a turbo,16v/G60 etc.

Fuel lines will have to be modded because CIS has banjo connections were's G60s have just push fit connections,i could photo my engine bay and show you.

Gearbox ratios?,i personally wouldn't use the valver's 'box,horribly short ratios,you'll be spinnin into 3rd,when i first turboed my golf 2 valver i had the original 'box fitted..,the golf accelerated like a 600 sports bike but only to 220km/h.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Ive decided now to fit a g60 lump complete into my valver and have some newbie questions.

Thanks in advance for any help

Yup i did this convertions 2 years ago at chrimbo, its relatively easy as far as engine swaps go, feel free to pm for advice if you think you'll need it.

1. Id go for about 500 notes, easy around a grand its its fresh and the chargers got plenty life

2. Ye can aye, they are the same size and shit, dunno about the ratios, i just opted to take the G60 box but theres a lot of chat about the 16v box having better ratios

3. Yup, i used the 16v pump but put fresh ones in, came to about 120 notes from gsf for the under car one and the in-tank one, as far as fuel lines go, one you've taken off the metering unit, you'll see the 'in' and 'return' lines. I chopped off the banjo ends that the k-jet uses and trimed back till i found the plastic pipes inside the rubber, one is black and one is blue, just match these up to the ones off the G, using a bit of fuel hose to fill the gap if needs be, i got some from halfords for a fiver, sweet

4. Ye wanna ask darren at G-werks, he'll help ye out, saved me a lot of greif with mine, top lad.

5.I think its a ribbed belt off of a peugot or citoren but no sure.

Good luck with it matey, its a good learning exercise just dont skimp out on stuff, do it once do it right and remember, when the lumps out it would be a prime time to change the rack if its never been done, would take ye about an hour instead of about 8 from under the car :lol: