Sign in to follow this  
Kezbo

Power steering fluid change

Hi,

Ive done a search but couldnt find a definative answer. I want to change the power steering fluid - is it just a case of draining and refilling or will things need to be bled? Also where is best place to drain it?

Thanks.

Pull off the inlet rubber hose and drain from there.

Only use the VAG green PAS fluid, refill via the filler bottle. It's important to not run the pump dry, so I would spin the pump by hand several times to get some fluid in it again before starting the engine.

After you've refilled and started the motor, the PAS pump will whine loudly for a little while. Turn the steering lock to lock a few times and then it should quieten down again. Job done.

Thanks for that. Is it the rubber inlet hose from the pump that I pull off?

Is the VAG green fluid the only stuff suitable then?

Cheers.

Yep as above, pull the hose off the pump and drain, lock to lock the steering manually a few times to expell as much fluid as pos and then fill up slowly to reduce air getting in... you will probably get about half a ltr in and then have to top up after starting the engine.

Yes only use the VW stuff, G 002 now supercedes to G 004 which is only £5 and you only need a bottle.