Sign in to follow this  
Will

Oil leak

Haven't been driving my VR much of late and noticed an oil leak on RHS of the engine... Had a good look underneath but can't see where it's coming from. Only seems to occur randomly - when it's been standing for a while and then clears up.

Am selling the car so want to get it sorted asap for obvious reasons.

Was thinking maybe the crankshaft seal on the aux-belt pulley but has anyone had similar issues from that side of the engine?

RHS but as viewed from which direction front or back?

Which part of the engine is the oil seeping to/from?

What colour oil?

How much?

EXACTLY where are you seeing the oil under the car?

Sorry, RHS from inside the vehicle - so left when viewed from the front. There's an oil trail when I maneuver the car out of the drive about a foot or so in from the side of the car.

Thing is, it's only done it very recently a few times and stops quickly (otherwise I'd have an empty oil system) so I can't replicate it. Also, there's no obvious sign of oil leaking that quickly from that area of the engine and it's pretty clean around there as I changed the sump gasket not long ago.

It's definitely engine oil - so I can only think maybe the crankshaft seal on that side. By why does it clear up after a few seconds and even then only do it randomly?

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT. NO NEED TO SHOUT. ;)

Will - sounds to me like oil must be pooling somewhere and then dropping off when you move the car. I note, however, that since *you* changed the sump gasket (I'm guessing it never did it before right), that's the first place to start looking. No offence, but it's easy to overlook something..

Good point - I would've had to have done something seriously wrong for oil to be leaking past the gasket at this rate, though... and it's pretty clean still around there, plus I changed it in November and it's only started doing it v.recently.

Reckon pooling is definitely a very likely reason - hadn't even thought about it like that - so will get under and have another good look tonight!

i'm trying to pinpoint an oil leak on mine - its not much, there's never any oil drips but every time i look under teh car its got a nice smearing of oil. It 'looks' like its coming form the mocal sandwich plate, so when i've got a day free i'll pull the front off, clean and reseal it, but i believe there is a dye that can be used in the oil (similar to that used in aircon systems) to check for leaks. Any idea where i can get some from though?

It's not often enough that someone bumps a thread that's over 4 years old :lol:

i think someone did one last week from 2003! That *must* be a record.

Anyways, suggestions on this one - i've had this leak from day one when i bought the car, back in 2004, just never got round to sorting it out. But i just cant seem to locate it :( although the rocker cover gasket has been changed as has the sump gasket, so these are/should be ok.

i think someone did one last week from 2003! That *must* be a record.

Anyways, suggestions on this one - i've had this leak from day one when i bought the car, back in 2004, just never got round to sorting it out. But i just cant seem to locate it :( although the rocker cover gasket has been changed as has the sump gasket, so these are/should be ok.

Oil pressure switch maybe?