Sign in to follow this  
jmk

What tyres do you recommend for a VR6?

Need to get some new tyres. Not bothered about wear rates, but want good dry and wet pefromance. Any suggestions?

Just put on some Avon ZZ1's (I'm pretty sure it was something like that!) on the front and I'm pretty pleased with them in the wet and dry.....I don't think the price was not too bad either at £170 fitted for the pair.

I have Avon ZZ3's fitted to my beast and I am pleased with the wet and dry performance with them. I got them from a site calle http://www.topgear.co.uk they supllied me with 2 new Avon ZZ3's for £55 each and £4 delivery so all in it cost £114 and then one of my mates put the tyres on my wheels for a fiver job done!!! :D

I've got the Avon's as well they are much better than my Pirelli’s but apparently the Uniroyal's are the dogs D's in the wet. That’s what my mate recommended I buy (works for a tyre distributor) But I had Avon’s on the front so thought I would keep them the same all round.

My two mate with Vr's swear by the Michelin Pilots

just my 2p worth

I thought the Toyos were too soft and wore quite quickly,I got them from Motorsport wheels in Glasgow (0141-643-3900).They give club discount,two Toyo Proxes T1-S 205x50x15 for the VR6 for £91 incl Vat,gotta be cheap.

I am now using BF Goodrich on my 17`s and they seem to be really good wear wise and both wet and dry grip is excellent. 8)

would any of you boys know if changing the tyres i have (205x40x17) to a less low profile tyre like 45/50 would help reduce the amount of noise and if it change the handling. I have yokohama' and they are pretty good in the wet!

longman,I remember having Yokos on a Golf on 17`s and they were always noisy tyres. I think changing the profile will possibly give clearance problems,is the car lowered?The other thing with changing the profile is that it will muck up your speedo readings,the tyre profile has a direct effect on your speedo`s accuracy.Could make the difference between clean driving licence and three penalty points.

I think I would either wear out the Yokos or take them off and sell them and change them for some quieter tyres :!: :!: 8)

well i dont think it would make much diffenece to the clearance or speedo as they are non-standard OZ 17" wheels and no the car is not lowered. I just thought with a bit more air in there it would cushion a bit more. so what tyres do you recommend which are cheaper quieter and good grip (sounds like the holy grail of tyres). :lol:

Changing to 17s definitely made a difference on my VR. Top end dropped, and also fuel economy went down from high 20s/low 30s to low 20s. :cry:

Will someone please explain how changin the rim size alters your speed and fuel economy based on you using the same rolling radius and width tyre???? :?

i.e fitting a bigger rim and small profiled tyres to make the rolling radius the same as the originals!!

17s are heavier than 15s :)

Bigger wheels do slow down the car with greater weight over each wheel.

Advantage of, if you can afford, Oz Superlights :)

But C's are cars that come with alloys as standard anyway.

Lighter than steelies maybe, but then I didn't think you could get steelies for a C.

Quality of the alloy creates a different weights -

cheap: light but flimsy

medium: heavy but strong

expensive: light and strong

I would assume standard 15s on a C would be the "medium" variety - and most people increase the size of their wheels when changing, so more wheel, generally more weight.

Bigger wheels also makes the car more susceptable to tram-lining and other effects which fight the car and will reduce mpg also.

i get all that Andi just seems to me people are forgetting what alloys are all about these days, and using them for looks no reducing weight.

Well, you get what you pay for.

If you spend £1200 on alloys, then your car will be perkier in the corners with better mpg.

But if you can afford £1200 for some alloys, you probably don't watch your mpg very closely......

Well, you get what you pay for.

If you spend £1200 on alloys, then your car will be perkier in the corners with better mpg.

But if you can afford £1200 for some alloys, you probably don't watch your mpg very closely......

lol

Well I am probably a little 'last year' but Goodyear Eagle F1's are pretty good.

Recently put a pair on the back of my car - they look cool, and they grip very well. Can't say how they wear though as I have only had em a few weeks.

Yeah, the Goodyear F1's won the most comprehesive tyre test of 2002. I read this in a magazine, I'll dig out the results if you like. From memory the test finishing order went something like this,

Goodyear F1

Continental

Pirrelli 7000

Michelen Pilots

Bridgestone

Avon ZZ

Can't remember the exact name of each tyre. Interestingly the Continental tyre was a very close second.

P.S. I don't have the F1's on my car. (yet :) )

well i read something about some dunlops being nice tyres and cheap but mainly very quiet. how much can i expect to pay? anyone no any good prices/places

I have Avon ZZ3's fitted to my beast and I am pleased with the wet and dry performance with them. I got them from a site calle http://www.topgear.co.uk they supllied me with 2 new Avon ZZ3's for £55 each and £4 delivery so all in it cost £114 and then one of my mates put the tyres on my wheels for a fiver job done!!! :D

these guys sound alright and if anyone should know it would be the man in the trade

Thanks for your comments / input.

I've had some BFG Profiler's fitted after running it on Dunlop SP2000's. Due to get my C back from the garage this week after the mother of all services that took over a week and a half. I'll let you know how I get on next week after a run up to Cambridge.

Nigel By putting 17's on your car you cantpossibly keep the same rolling radius as the original 15's on the car!! If you worked out the exact rolling radius of a 15" wheel with a 195/50/15 tyre on and a 17" wheel with a 205/40/17 profile the end rolling radius is different and with an increased rolling radius the 17" wheel will have to do less turns per mile than the 15" wheel which means that the speedo will read inacurately as the speedo is calibrated to the 15" wheel.I ve been told that with 17's on your car with the speedo reading 100mph the car is in fact doing 111mph weather that is right or not I dont know for sure butI have noticed that when doing 100mph my digi reading on the mfa reads slightly higher I know you cant rely on this but it gives an indication anyway!!! longman In the end the final decision is upto you but in my opinion the avon zz3's are a decent tyre at a reasonable cost and they dont have mass amounts off tyre noise like some other brands I ve used in the past I payed £55 each for avon zz3's from http://www.topgear.co.uk they do wheel and tyre packages as well for very reasonable prices but as I said before the end decision is yours!! Let us know the outcome of what you decide.

p.s changing the profile of the tyre wont change the tyre noise as it is the tread pattern and the width of the tyre that create the road noise in the first place!!! :D